Modern Languages and Literature
- Communicate across cultures
- Organize people/equipment/ideas
- Adapt to other cultures and understand cultural diversity
- Awareness of the role of language in transmitting culture
- Interact with others despite communication barriers
- Observe, analyze and interpret information
- Grasp ideas and concepts quickly
- Proficiency in phonetics
- Multicultural awareness and sensitivity
- Appreciation for multiculturalism
- Editing skills
- Comprehensive command of grammar and vocabulary
- Articulate reading, writing and speaking skills
- Understanding of historical language change
SAMPLE JOB TITLES
- Communication Specialist
- Communications Airlines
- Conference Interpreter
- Cultural Organizations
- Diplomatic Aide
- Flight Attendant
- Foreign Correspondent
- Foreign Language Instructor
- Health Care Services
- Immigration Officer
- International Relations
- Import/Export Coordinator
- Language Instructor
- Museum/Tour Guide
- Policy Analyst
- Professional Journals
- Public Relations
- Translation Firms
- Travel/Tourism Agencies
- Careerspace Website - Extensive career development and work search information including tools, links, strategies and assessments.
- Trent University Student Job Board - Look for on- and off-campus opportunities.
- Career Resources on myTrent - Access the following resources through myTrent>Support>Careerspace
- Career Cruising and TypeFocus - Free self-assessments that connect your interests and personality to your career.
- My World Abroad - Provides information, strategies, and tips for anyone considering going abroad for work, study or travel.
- Career Counselling and Résumé Critiques - Get feedback in a one-on-one appointment.
- Career and Work Search Workshops - Register through the Events Calendar.
- Events and Fairs - Your opportunity to meet and network with employers and recruiters on campus.
Professional Associations & Societies
Professional associations and societies can be effective exploration resources as they provide information about careers, job boards, events and professional development opportunities. These groups can be used for networking, so become familiar with them!
- Canadian Association of Applied Linguistics
- Ontario Modern Languages Teachers’ Association
- Modern Language Association
- Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario
- Literary Translators' Association of Canada
Opportunities - Internships, Careers, Government Programs
- Trent University Student Job Board
- Odyssey Language Assistant Program
- Ontario Internship Program
- Career Edge
- International Experience Canada
- Federal Government Jobs
- Provincial Government Jobs
- Foreign Affairs Canada
- Job Bank
- Charity Village
- Modern Languages & Literatures at Trent University - Courses, year aboard, program faculty, resources, and more department information.
- Trent Community Research Centre - Students are matched with local organizations to assist with research, planning and other community development projects for course credit.
- Trent University Student Organizations - Get involved in groups that will contribute to learning new skills & gaining a variety of experience.
Learn about career paths, seek guidance from people working in diverse professions and industries, and develop your network.
- Networking, Mentoring and Informational Interviewing - Careerspace has tip sheets, workshops and one-on-one appointments to help you develop your network.
- Alumni Programming - Careerspace can help you connect with Trent alumni in your field. Contact us for details and information about special events with alumni.