Future International Students




International Student Advising

Study Permit


Academic Advising Transition Workshops


Student Advising in the TI office, is available to assist all International Students including, ESL, Undergraduate, Graduate and Exchange as well as Students returning from, or considering a year abroad.

We support you with issues such as academic concerns, housing needs, financial difficulties, health insurance, Cultural adaptation, and challenges that may arise concerning relations within the Trent and Peterborough Communities. 

Additionally, we welcome you to come into the TI office to visit, meet other students, get involved, or simply talk about what’s going on in your life. 



Monday – Thursday

11:30 - 13:30

Champlain College Room 302

Drop in Appointments are open to anyone on a first-come, first-serve basis and are approximately 15minutes long, at which time a follow-up appointment can be made. 



Monday - Friday

To Book an Appointment with your International Student Advisor, please email or phone 705.748.1314. 

If you have an urgent concern, please call or visit the TI office immediately for assistance.

Consent for Release of Information

In accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Trent International (TI) Office CANNOT disclose your confidential personal information without your specific consent. If you anticipate that you may be unable to consult the office personally, and would like to assign responsibility for such to an agency, friend or relative, you must submit this authorization for release of personal information. It will stay in effect until you cancel it in writing.

Complete the Release of Information form on MyTrent


Study permit

As an International Student, you are required to have a valid study permit and adhere to specific immigration laws. 

If you have any questions or concerns regarding documentation or your status in Canada visit:   This will help you understand immigration policies, and your responsibilities as well as the policies and procedures for keeping your documents up to date.

To apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you will need a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution. You need to include the Designated Learning Institution Number (DLI#), which is the number that begins with the letter "O", on your application form. Trent University's DLI# is O19395164223.



Working On-campus

International students registered for full-time study at Trent University are permitted to work on campus without a work permit. "On-campus" is defined as employment in facilities owned, leased or rented by Trent University. In the past, international students at Trent University have found jobs at the library, colleges (such as summer maintenance), athletic complex, alumni office, development office, TIP office, food catering company, The Arthur (school newspaper), liaison office (campus tours) and research assistant positions with faculty.

Students must possess a valid study permit to work on campus in Canada, and if they have not undergone a medical examination, students may be subject to specific terms and conditions.

Please visit the Trent Job Board for information on current job opportunities.

Working Off-campus

As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week:

  • during regular academic sessions and

  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • have a valid study permit,

  • be a full-time student,

  • be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and

  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

- Quoted from

Please visit the CIC website for more information.

Post Graduate Work Permit

International students upon graduation are allowed to work in Canada for up to two years in the field relevant to their degree. A work permit must be obtained through immigration authorities within Canada.

See Canada Citizenship and Immigration website for further information.


Health Insurance Options for Graduated International Students

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. To obtain your SIN, please visit a Service Canada Center with your proof-of-identity documents.

See Canada Citizenship and Immigration website for further information

Income Tax Resources

Are you an international student studying in Canada?

You can find out about Canada's income tax system by reviewing this website:


Tax Preparation Businesses - Peterborough, ON

There are a number of businesses in Peterborough that provide tax preparation services. 

You will want to have a business with experience in filing income tax for international students.

You can find tax preparation business contacts at:


There are a group of volunteers that will assist with low income tax preparations.

You can view the listing of upcoming clinics available at:


Glossary of tax terms:

T4 - report of income earned

T4a - report of scholarship/awards received

T2202a - report of tuition paid


SIN - Social Insurance number used to identify your tax record:


ITN - Individual tax number:


Academic Advising

If you are having trouble with your academics, Trent has a variety of services and supports available to you including the Academic Skills Centre, DSO, your Senior Tutor, Peer Mentoring, the Library and your Academic Departments among others.

Sometimes it can be difficult expressing your concerns, knowing who to talk to, or how to access the resources available to you.  This is where we come in!  If you are having difficulties registering, have concerns with your courses, are experiencing a difficulty, or simply want to talk about an academic challenge or interest please come in to see us and we can help you understand your options and access the resources.

Academic Skills Centre, which can help you with time management, essay writing,  etc. Another resource is your Senior Tutor.

Senior Tutors, academic advisors in each college available to help you plan your degree, understand the academic system and process Petitions and Appeals.

Part time Status

As an International Undergraduate Student attending Trent University on a Study Permit you are to be full time.  Full time undergraduate is defined as a minimum of 3.5 credits.  You must apply for Institutional Support of Part time status based on your situation.

Go to MyTrent/Resources/International/Application for Part time Status

Your Application will be processed through the TI Office and you will be notified by email of the outcome.

Transitions: Personal and Cultural

How do I talk to a Canadian Student?  Classes are much different here. I am not sure how where to go for help. I am bored.

Adapting to a new place takes time and most people go through a period of personal defeat or disenchantment while in a new or unfamiliar setting. This is known as culture shock or acculturation and although everyone experiences this differently, it is a normal part of adjusting in a different environment.  

Impacting your cultural adjustment, are other transitions with academics, independence, and social interactions that you will be experiencing as a student.  Everyone will be facing their own personal, professional and cultural challenges and the TIP office is available to support you through these transitions.  Be it through a one-on-one appointment with an advisor, a drop in appointment, a casual meeting during Wednesdays Tea Time, or participation in a group activity or celebration there are many ways to engage with the TI office.  We are available to talk about your experiences and concerns, provide you with resources, and help you connect with member s of the Peterborough and Trent communities. 

If you are experiencing personal issues that you would like to discuss with a professional, we also encourage you to contact the Trent Counselling Center, a free and confidential service available to all International Students. 





Dates will be posted on the TI Weekly Newsletter

Volunteering - Is it for you?

The experience of volunteering can provide assistance to others while providing you with valuable learning opportunities.  Find out about the process of volunteering in the community and discuss the possibilities!

To Drop or Not to Drop?

Before you drop a course, be sure to attend one of our 'To drop or not to drop' workshops. Dates will be posted closer to the drop deadline.

What will you do for the holidays?

Meet your International Student Advisor to discuss your holiday plans and learn about resources and opportunites available during the holiday period.

Are you graduating at the end of December?

International Students who intend to Graduate at the end of this term will need help accessing the appropriate resources and services available that will assist you in obtaining a post graduate work permit.  You will find out what you need to know before you graduate?  Also, what are your options if you want to become a Permanent Resident of Canada?

Are you feeling low on energy? 

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a result of changing environments and adjusting to different levels of sunshine. 

Meet your International Student Advisor to learn about what you can do to manage with less sunshine.

Off campus housing 

Did you live on campus and are now planning to move off-campus? Did you live off-campus and want to move to a different place? This information session will discuss what services, information and guidelines are available to you so that you are informed about your rights as a tenant.  We will also talk about safety and logistics around searching for and viewing rental properties and other important information everyone should have when living off-campus. 

Off Campus Website

Study Abroad Information Sessions

Are you in need of some knowledge to put you at ease about your study abroad experience? Do you want to make sure your prepared for inter-cultural communication? Well these are the info sessions for you! Trent's Student Exchange Program in conjunction with the International Programming Advisor will be hosting a series of workshops to shift and expand your perspectives of the world around you.

Study Abroad webpage

Check out our BLOG!

Photo by Airin Aguilera