Welcome to the Trent Study Abroad Program!
Welcome to Trent University! Located in beautiful Peterborough, Ontario, Trent University’s main campus, Symons Campus, sits on the banks of the Otonabee River with much of the surrounding land being preserved nature areas. Although it is one of the smallest universities in Ontario its size is no barrier to providing an excellent standard of education to its students. Trent students are provided with a learning environment that allows them to receive close interaction with professors, access to learning resources and the ability to explore a diverse range of academic interests. Trent offers a wide range of academic programs of study, all providing quality education in fields such as business, medicine, computer science, environmental studies and international relations. Along with extensive academic opportunities students are also encouraged to participate in a wide range of extracurricular activities such as music, drama, athletics and world issues, each of which contribute to attaining a comprehensive education.
Why should I study abroad at Trent University?
- Location: Trent is located in Peterborough, a beautiful and safe city of 80,000. It is located only 90 minutes away from Toronto. The city has an eclectic mix of attractions including jazz bars, cafes, shops, restaurants, and bookstores all dispersed amongst stunning natural parks and scenic riverfront trails.
- Outstanding Quality of Education: Trent was ranked #1 for “Quality of Education” by the Globe and Mail’s University Report Card, “Undergraduate Research University of the Year” by the National Post and #1 “Ontario Undergraduate University” by McLean’s magazine. These accolades attest to Trent’s outstanding commitment to providing an interactive learning centre that provides student’s with a valuable liberal education.
- Philosophy: Trent University stresses the importance of a liberal education and provides students with the opportunity to extensively pursue fields of interest. It’s personal approach to education places an emphasis on small-group teaching environments so that students get to know professors and allow the professors to identify individual student needs and allow students to voice their opinions. Along with this comes Trent’s interdisciplinary approach to education that allows students to appreciate the wide spectrum of issues that relate to a specific field of specialization.
- Global Commitment and Study Abroad: Trent is committed to educating global citizens and providing students with an education that is relative to our changing world. Trent’s community consists of students from 111 countries around the world and making up 10% of the total population. Along with the international community, students have the opportunity to study abroad through more than 22 study abroad and exchange programs. These programs allow students to spend up to a year of studies almost anywhere in the world and gain skills that will allow them to live, work and interact in a global environment.
- Extracurricular: Although Trent places an emphasis on the importance of academics; extracurricular activities are recognized as an integral part of the Trent experience. Students have the opportunity to explore a wide range of interests such as music, athletics, debate, student radio, world issues and cultural activities.