Department Description
Section Description - picture description

Off-Campus Living

Quick Links:

The community in downtown Peterborough creates a vibrant welcoming atmosphere to live and learn in. Whether you move downtown after staying in residence, or you start your Trent career living in the city, Peterborough has a lot to offer students! The downtown core boasts everything from your basic amenities like groceries, banks, and laundry to specialty shops for crafts, clothing, coffee, and so much more!

If you’re looking for a place to rent for yourself or a group of people, be sure to check the Off-Campus Housing Listings page with for local listings from landlords and/or students looking for roommates or a sublet.

If you’ve found accommodations for the year, now is the time to explore Downtown Peterborough! As an off-campus member of college, you have the advantage of all the amenities of campus and the amenities of being downtown on your doorstep! From shopping to great study locations to a wide variety of music, theatre, and art, Peterborough is a fantastic community to live in! Check out the Downtown Peterborough page for a listing of some local attractions, popular events, and restaurants!


Being a Member of College

Living in downtown Peterborough can be a great experience. The increased sense of independence that comes with living outside of residence does not mean you miss out on being a member of college! While you live downtown, you are still affiliated with a college. If you haven't already chosen your College Affiliation you may do so by logging on to MyTrent and selecting your College under Supports & Student Life.

What does College Affiliation Mean?

Trent University is home to a unique system of organization: the college system. The college system creates smaller social, athletic, and academic communities with the larger institution of the university. What this means to you, the student, is that the college you are affiliated with is going to offer a variety of programming and supports designed to assist you during your Trent career. From academic advice from your Academic Advisor, or Academic Skills Instructors, to the opportunity to participate in intramural sports, to a wide variety of social activities, your college wants to help you make the most of your Trent experience.

Each college is home to different traditions, lecture series, guest speakers, artists in residence, and ultimately a different atmosphere to live and learn in.  As an off-campus member of college, your affiliation will be assigned automatically to you, but unlike members of college who live in residence, you have the opportunity to change your affiliation. Be sure to check out the information about each of the colleges as listed on the left navigation of this page to learn more about the college that might suit you best!

Resources for Off-Campus Students

Many Trent students choose to live off-campus in their first year and we are here to help celebrate your successes, keep you informed of resources that may help you through difficult times and provide you with information about events happening on campus that might be of interest to you.


Summer Orientation Presentation for Off-Campus Students

Can't make it to a Summer Orientation in-person? Check out our presentation from the Summer College Ambassadors and Summer Orientation Team. We have also created a helpful map to introduce you to Student Life in Downtown Peterborough.

Trent Central Student Association: Tenant advocacy
Phone: 705-748-1000


Tenant Resources

Landlord & Tenant Board: Residential Tenancies Act


Insurance Bureau of Canada: Information on Tenant Insurance


Investigation & Enforcement Unit, Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing

Phone: 1-888-772-9277

  • Investigates complaints and can lay charges against the offender

City of Peterborough Resources

Community Counselling and Resource Centre – Housing Resource Centre
540 George Street North
Phone: 705-743-2272

  • Housing information and vacancy listings for tenants

  • Emergency financial assistance to find or keep housing


City of Peterborough Building Division

500 George Street North
Phone: 705-742-7777 ext 1892 or toll free 1-855-738-3755

  • Questions pertaining to Property Standards By-Law

  • Investigation of and follow up to complaints about building maintenance (broken windows, unsafe stairs) and look into complaints about property outside the building (garbage, long grass, snow and ice)

  • Download Building division complaint form

  • Learn how to make a complaint

Peterborough County-City Health Unit

185 King Street

Phone: (705) 743-1000 or toll free 1-877-743-0101

  • Problems with mould, pests, bedbugs and other insects


Peterborough Police Services
Phone (non-emergency number): 705-876-1122 or toll free 1-888-876-1122 
 emergencies please dial 9-1-1


Peterborough Fire Services
Phone (non-emergency number): 705-745-3283
 emergencies please dial 9-1-1


Utility Companies

Peterborough Utilities Group (Hydro)

Phone: 705-748-6900 (setting up/closing an account)
            705-748-9300 (general inquires)

  • Electricity, water and sewer services

  • Can I Afford it? 

  • Option to check the average cost of utility services at a given address


Hydro One
Phone: 1-800-434-1235

  • Power outages, fallen tree removal


Enbridge Gas (gas)
Phone: 1-877-362-7434 (general questions, billing and other inquires)

For gas emergencies call 1-866-763-5427