Access to Information

Trent University is subject to Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

This legislation, which came into effect for universities on June 10, 2006, provides for the general right of access to institutional records (with some specific exemptions) and the right of the individual to access his or her own personal information. The Act also sets rules for the protection of personal information in the University’s custody. Individuals who wish to appeal a decision by the University may do so by contacting the office of the Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner.

Informal Access Requests

It is not necessary to file an official access request to obtain information that would normally be made available to the public. Many University documents are maintained on the website or are available through departmental offices. Informal inquiries and requests to department heads are welcomed, and faculty and staff are encouraged to continue to respond to routine requests for information, while being mindful of the need to protect personal privacy.

Formal Access/Correction Requests

In the event that a record is not provided under existing procedures, a formal request for access may be made under FIPPA. 

Formal access requests may be made for any of the following:

  • access to general University records
  • access to one's own personal information
  • correction of one's own personal information

Certain records are excluded from the Act, including:

  • private donations to university archives
  • most labour relations and employment related records
  • research and teaching materials

Formal requests for access to information must be in writing and accompanied by the $5.00 fee (cash or cheque only).  The request should provide sufficient detail for the University to be able to identify the record. 

Correction of personal information held by the University may be formally requested if the individual believes that the information is erroneous or incomplete.  This process is not intended for routine updating of information, such as change of address.

Corrections are not normally made to evaluations or opinions; however, the requester may ask that a statement of disagreement be attached to such records.

Where possible, requesters are asked to use the official request form provided at

Access/Correction Request Form (incl. fees)

Request forms are also available from the University Secretariat, Champlain College, Suite C1.

Please note that the University is
not able to accept requests by e-mail.

For further information, please contact Trent’s Access/Privacy Office at 705-748-1011 ext. 1387, or .