How To Make A Purchase Under $1500
Full time University staff and faculty who hold a University account with sufficient funds can purchase goods or services valued at less than $1500.00 without assistance from Purchasing. Two purchase methods are listed below. There are, however, restrictions in the use of these methods for several items or purposes. Please read the restrictions section carefully.
Methods of Purchase
1) Corporate VISA
- We offer four types of corporate Visa Cards:
- Standard Card - issued in the name of a specific staff member.
- Departmental Card - issued in the name of the department for use
by multiple staff members.
- Fleet Card - issued for fuel and vehicle maintenance. Linked to vehicle plate.
- Limited term card.
On a monthly basis you will receive an electronic record of your transactions. You are required to assign GL account numbers, attach receipts and return to the Finance Office. Timely return of Visa statements is essential to continuing in the Visa program
Download Visa Application Form
2) Standing or Blanket Purchase Order
This Purchase Order,
established once a year, is ideal for large volume low value purchases
from one source. Once established with the assistance of Purchasing, the account holder or delegate is free to initiate orders with the selected
supplier. Invoices are sent directly to Purchasing for payment.
If you wish to have Purchasing Staff assist you with ordering please
complete a Purchase Requisition and submit the form to the Purchasing Office located in Blackburn Hall,
The following categories of material or services cannot be purchased using the
simplified methods described above. Rather a standard purchase requisition
form must be completed and the appropriate signatures as required need to be
on the requisition.
Please DO NOT PURCHASE THE FOLLOWING WITHOUT
- Imported items - Customs regulations can make the purchase of foreign
goods costly and time consuming. Proper customs documentation is
required to avoid fines, delays at the border, storage charges, duties and
extra taxes. The Purchasing Office has an established Customs Broker.
Please call us first before importing or exporting any goods.
- Live vertebrates – The Animal Care Committee oversees the use of live
vertebrates. An animal care protocol number from the Animal Care
Committee is required prior to placing an order. This number must be on
the purchase requisition as “ACC number *********” .
- Electrical Equipment -All electrical equipment used in Canada is required to meet specific safety
standards. Imported equipment frequently lacks appropriate certification and
will require additional onsite inspection by the Electrical Safety Authority and
possible modification before it can be placed in service. For further
information see (Link under development)
- Controlled substances – Controlled drugs to be used with animals must
be purchased through the Animal Care Supervisor.
- Hazardous chemicals- Any chemical or material that is considered
hazardous must be purchased using a purchase requisition. Typically, a
hazardous material will have either WHMIS labels and/or TDG
documentation and will come with an MSDS. Any person receiving
hazardous material must have TDG training (contact the risk management
office for more information
- Biohazardous Materials - Purchasing biological material that is
considered to be biohazardous by either the Public Health Agency Canada
or the Canadian Food Inspection Agency must be purchased using a
Purchase requisition and the signature of the Biosafety Officer is required
on the requisition. In addition, a copy of the receiving documentation must
be forwarded to the BSO upon receiving the material.
- Radioactive Material or devices containing radioactive material –
must be purchased using a Purchase Requisition and the signature of the
Radiation Safety Officer is required. In addition a copy of the receiving
documentation must be forwarded to the RSO upon receiving the material.
- Alcohol (lab use) - The Excise Act requires a University specific license
number be applied to all purchases. Alcohol purchases must be
accounted for in detail. Contact the Chemical Stores Supervisor for
- Alcohol (for consumption) – Generally University funds cannot be used
to purchase alcohol. Events involving alcohol require a liquor license and
are arranged through Conference Services. Research accounts have
specific restrictions on the use of funds for entertainment.
- Goods or services from a University employee or his or her dependents.
Please contact Purchasing for assistance.
- Building repairs, renovations, or alterations - All alterations to
University property require the approval of the the Physical Resources
Department. To assist with requests for alterations in the Science
Buildings contact the Science Facilities Manager. Requests for repairs to
existing services and buildings should be forwarded to Fixit@trentu.ca.
- Purchases for personal use.
- Travel and Accommodation – Staff who travel frequently are advised to obtain a Corporate American Express Card. The American Express card allows the traveller to obtain cash advances and provides insurance as well as other travel benefits. See Travel Information.
Who to Contact for Assistance
- Science Facilities Assistant : Angela Sikma
- Science Facilities Manager, RSO, BSO: Chris Williams
- Animal Care Manager: Jason Allen
- Fixit: Fixit@trentu.ca, ext 1366
- Purchasing Services, ext 1203