Open House Trent University Features Live Music, Barbeque and Full Slate of Academic Content
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, April 20, 2011, Peterborough
Trent University is pleased to invite applicants, new and interested students, along with their friends and families to the Spring Thaw Open House on Symons Campus in Peterborough on Saturday, April 30, 2011 from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The event is titled “Spring Thaw” and will focus on Trent’s beautiful exterior environment and welcoming atmosphere. Anyone interested in learning about what Trent has to offer is welcome to join a variety of campus tours, attend free lectures, chat with faculty and staff, and attend academic fairs. Registration and check-in will begin at 8:30 a.m. at Otonabee College.
Trent University president Dr. Steven E. Franklin will welcome everyone at a barbeque lunch at Gzowski College from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., where members of the Unity Singers - a Peterborough based Aboriginal women's acapella group - will perform, acknowledging the deep roots of Indigenous tradition at the University. Live music of local musicians and Trent students Andrew Shedden, Jessica Bommarito, Daniel Francis Beausoleil and others will also be featured.
An open-house welcome video, full schedule of events and information about registration are available at www.trentu.ca/openhouse.
Open House Highlights:
- TOUR THE CAMPUS: Join campus tours departing every 15 minutes from Otonabee College, sciences lab tours from 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., and residence tours from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- TAKE IN A MEMORABLE LECTURE: Sample lectures from a variety of disciplines at multiple locations from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. At 9:30, catch “The Greatest Canadian Hero?” by Professor Sally Chivers from Canadian Studies in Gzowski College 115, or at 10 a.m catch Justin Bieber and Contemporary Society: A Brief Introduction to Studying Sociology, by Professor Momin Rahman from Sociology in Gzowski College117. Visit: trentu.ca/openhouse for a full schedule of lectures available.
- TALK TO PROFESSORS AND STAFF: Talk to faculty about the program of your interest, admissions and academic advising at the Humanities and Social Sciences Fair from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Gzowski College and the Sciences Fair from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Life and Health Sciences Building.
- EXPLORE STUDENT SERVICES: Talk to staff from the Offices of Disability Services, Housing, Counselling, Health Services, and the Trent International Program at the Student Services Fair from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Otonabee College.
- STUDENT LIFE: Enjoy free ice cream with more live music and a Trent DJ while learning about the Colleges of Trent, Student Affairs and more at the Student Life Fair on the Bata Library Podium from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- CHECK OUT THE TRENT COMMUNITY SPORT AND RECREATION CENTRE: Try the climbing wall, paddling tank, and talk to our staff about your fitness interests.
- Barbecue lunch (rain or shine) at Gzowski College for $7 per person.
Schedule of events and registration can be found at www.trentu.ca/openhouse
For more information, please contact: Melissa Joseph Hill, associate registrar, 705-748-1011 ext. 6228, firstname.lastname@example.org or to RSVP, please visit www.trentu.ca/openhouse or call 1-888-739-8885.