Trent University Readies for Annual Head of the Trent and Alumni Homecoming Weekend October 3 - 5
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Fall Classic Expected to Draw Thousands to Peterborough
Thursday, October 2, 2008, Peterborough
One of Trent University’s longest-standing traditions will unfold this weekend as thousands of alumni and their families return to campus for the annual Head of the Trent and Alumni Homecoming Weekend Festival, taking place from Friday, October 4 to Sunday, October 5.
Founded in 1970, this annual Trent event attracts alumni, students and community members alike for a busy weekend full of activities framed around the exciting Head of the Trent rowing competition, the largest single day event of its kind in North America. More than 50 universities and rowing clubs take part, comprising over 2,200 athletes from Ontario, Quebec and the northern United States who will race along the Trent-Severn waterway from the Parkhill Bridge to Symons Campus.
An exciting highlight for Trent will be when varisty rower Jennifer Tuters of Port Hope takes to the water. Ms. Tuters just won the under-23 women's single title at Rowing Canada's national championships in London, ON last Saturday.
“Head of the Trent is a great tradition,” said Bill Byrick, director of athletics for Trent University. “Alumni return to campus to spin yarns and add credence to the old saying – the older we get, the better we were, while cheering on our Trent U. student athletes! It’s great to see and there is no doubt our athletes are motivated by their support.”
Homecoming festivities will take place in and around Alumni House, the on-campus home for the more than 30,000 graduates of Trent University, and in the Festival Tent, located on the north field beside Champlain College. More than 1,000 alumni are expected to return for the weekend’s celebrations.
“How fortunate we are in the Alumni association to have twinned our annual Homecoming with the very special activities of the Head of the Trent Regatta,” said Tony Storey, director of alumni affairs for Trent University. “It is a splendid day for alumni to be back on campus. This year's 40th anniversaries for Lady Eaton College and the department of Geography are a reminder that our relatively young university is now aging, with our 50th anniversary coming in 2014. The Alumni Association also celebrates a milestone with its 40th annual general meeting.”
Highlights of this year’s Homecoming festivities include the second annual Trent Family Art Show, exhibiting select pieces of art created by the Trent community, and the book launch of Forty Years of Geography at Trent University in Alumni House. New events include two 40th anniversary celebrations: one for Lady Eaton College and another for Trent’s Geography Department. A series of receptions, family BBQs and displays have been planned in honour of these important milestones of the University.
The Trent University Rowing Club Beer Garden will remain in the parking lot at the Bata Library as in previous years.
The rowing regatta is open to all and Homecoming events welcome back alumni and guests. For further information about the homecoming festivities, visit www.trentu.ca/alumni/headofthetrent.php. Details of the rowing regatta can be found at www.headofthetrent.ca.
Head of the Trent: Schedule of Events:
Friday, October 3
- Boat Christening in honour of Peter Van Roojen
6:30 p.m., Peterborough Rowing Club
- Varsity Women’s Rugby, Toronto vs. Trent 7:00 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
Saturday , October 4
- Head-of-the-Trent Rowing Regatta All Day
- Trent Alumni Volleyball Game Athletics Complex, Gymnasium
- Trent Alumni Soccer Game 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
- Trent Invitational Swim Meet Trent, Queen’s, York 11:00 a.m. warm up, 12:00 noon start, Athletics Complex, Allan Marshall Pool
- Varsity Men’s Soccer, Carleton vs. Trent 1:00 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
- Varsity Women’s Soccer, Carleton vs. Trent 3:15 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
- Varsity Men’s Rugby, Queen’s vs. Trent 5:00 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
- Varsity Men’s Field Lacrosse, Queen’s vs. Trent 7:00 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
Sunday , October 5
- Varsity Men’s Lacrosse, McGill vs. Trent 10:00 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
- Varsity Men’s Soccer, Queen’s vs. Trent 1:00 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
- Varsity Women’s Soccer, Queen’s vs. Trent 3:15 p.m., Trent University Stadium Field
For further information, please contact:
All Varsity Athletic events and the rowing regatta: Trent Athletics, (705) 748-1257
Alumni Homecoming: Tony Storey, Director of Alumni Affairs, (705) 748-1011, ext. 1599