Trent World Day to be held September 6
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Introductory Seminar Week (ISW) Event Aims to Highlight Cultural Diversity at Trent
Wednesday, September 5, 2007, Peterborough
Student leaders from around the world have teamed up with the Trent International Program (TIP) and the office of Student Affairs to produce the second annual Trent World Day which will be held on the Symons campus at Trent University from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, September 6.
The day-long event aims to bring a greater consciousness of the Cultural and International Diversity represented at Trent University to all Trent students. The day will begin with an early morning cross-cultural communication challenge at all of Trent’s represented colleges. Throughout the day, professional staff will also provide University Transition sessions about opportunities to Internationalize Undergraduate education by studying abroad, earning a Global Studies degree, or building on and expanding one’s own Cultural skills.
Intro Village: “Open Yourself to a World of Possibilities” will run from the Bata Podium from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. and will feature such activities as:
- Henna tattooing
- National dress photo-booth – students will have the opportunity to get their picture taken in a diversity of international costumes
- Diversity Mosaic – a mosaic made by new students from each of the residential colleges
- A booth where you can buy various countries’ flags
- Live DJs playing a mix of music from all over the world
- Latin Swing Dance Workshops
- Trent International Program (TIP) information booth featuring information on Trent’s Study Abroad Program
- Multiple vendors specializing in a sea of International products
- Internationally-focused community groups, including: New Canadian Centre, Race Relations Committee, Jamaica Self-Help, Peterborough Aids Research Network
Internationally-focused Trent groups including: Trent International Student Association (TISA), World University Service of Canada (WUSC) and Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG)
Multiple performances will be going on every half hour throughout the day on the Bata Podium, including Latin Swing performances (2:30 p.m.) and musical performances by Brock Stonefish (1:30 p.m.).
As Intro Village comes to an end, an exciting musical performance by Dub Trinity will take place at Trent’s Athletic Field at 3 p.m.
Following the performance students and members of the community are invited to attend the Varsity soccer games and cheer on the Trent Excalibur as both the men’s and women’s teams’ battle against RMC. Trent World Day staff will perform a cultural show during half time.
Following the soccer games, Trent World Day will conclude with a performance by the highly talented Chinese Association from Toronto as they put on a Traditional Chinese Lion Dance.
For more information, please contact:
Malisa Kurtz or Lebogang Mothibatsela, Trent World Day Co-chairs, Trent International Program Office, (705) 748-1314