The department is committed to inspiring mathematics in young minds through outreach activities in the university and its surrounding community. Get involved and be inspired!
MATH Kangaroo Contest
2017 Contest Information
This year the contest will be taking place on March 26, 2017 (Sunday) at 1:00pm in OCA 205/206/207/208. This contest is open to students in grades 1-12. The Mathematics department is offering free preparation classes for the contest (no registration required). The preparation classes take place on Saturdays at Trent University for the month of February and the beginning of March. More information can be found by following the link in the title.
If you are a secondary teacher interesed in enriching your student's mathematical repertorie, faculty members would be happy to visit your class and showcase the beauty of mathematics through demonstrations, problem solving, puzzles and games. For more information, please contact Professor Stefan Bilaniuk.
2016 Contest Results
34 students between grades 1 - 12 participated in the contest.
One student achieved the 2nd place overall of Canada in his age category.
7 out of 34 students finished in the top 10% nationally!
Widely recognized as the preeminent mathematics contest for undergraduate students, this contest occurs every December. For more information, please contact Professor Stefan Bilaniuk.
Congratulations to our six students who participated in the 2015 Putnam contest. Special mention to Ankai Liu who scored in the top 20%.
Other Outreach Opportunities
- Pi in Sky (math magzine aimed for high school students, sponored by PIMS)
- Math Fairs (a fair about mathematical games and puzzles, sponsored by the SNAP foundation)
- Crux Mathematicorum (challenging math problems, sponsored by the Canadian Mathematical Society)
- FIELDS outreach programs (various outreach activities sponsored by the FIELDS institute)
- Perimeter Institute outreach programs (various outreach activities sponsored by the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics)