Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 96-1006

Title

The William Hamilton House fonds. -- 1985. -- 3 cm of textual records and graphic materials.

Biography / History

It is believed that in 1880 John E. Belcher built the house for William Hamilton, the developer of a machine shop which became one of Peterborough's largest and most important industries in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The house is solid brick, cream in colour, and has a two storey projecting bay with portico and entrance. The William Hamilton house is presently owned by the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation for the Diocese of Peterborough. A request for designation in accordance with the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act, 1974, was filed October 31, 1985 by the Peterborough Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee.

Custodial History

The fonds was in the custody of Martha Ann Kidd, chair of the Peterborough Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of one 13-page document concerning the designation of the William Hamilton House at 459 Reid Street in Peterborough, Ontario in accordance with the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act of 1974. The fonds includes correspondence, legal and architectural description of the property and building, historical background, and photocopies of photographs of the house.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

The fonds was donated by Martha Ann Kidd in 1986.

Restrictions: N

For related records see: 74-1002, and 84-006.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation