Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 92-003

Title

Flavelles Limited fonds. -- 1892-1980. -- 61 cm of textual records.

Biography / History

Flavelles originated in 1860 with the partnership between J.R. Dundas and Mr. Claxton. They operated a general store on Kent Street in Lindsay, Canada West. In 1872 J.D. Flavelle, a nephew of J.R. Dundas, became a partner when Mr. Claxton retired. In 1877 W. Flavelle joined the business and the business became Dundas & Flavelle Brothers. The company expanded under the Flavelle brothers into the grain market. They acquired the controlling interest in the flour mill near Lindsay Street and called it the Flavelle Milling Company until it sold out to the Canadian Cereal Company in 1912. Around the same time a growing produce business handling eggs, butter, cheese and poultry was developed. A warehouse on King Street was built to store products and eventually branch plants in Port Perry, Belleville, Alliston, Chatham and London were established. Later on a coal and builders' supply department was added to the Lindsay business. The merchandise used in the store was purchased from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. The first export business in eggs, butter, cheese and poultry occured in 1888 when W. Flavelle, who was a regular member on the British Isles business trips, decided that it was a good idea to ship produce and use the proceeds on future merchandise purchases. In 1895 J.R. Dundas died and his stock was purchased by other partners. In 1900 a provincial charter was obtained under the name of Dundas and Flavelles Ltd. and by 1904, with another charter, the name was changed to Flavelles Ltd. The Victoria Creamery was puchased in 1912. In 1916 the cold storage warehouse on King Street burnt to the ground while it was full of produce. Only the power house, which was in a separate brick building, was saved. A new brick warehouse, which was a cold storage and creamery, was built on the corner of Kent and Victoria Streets in 1917. After 1918 a separate charter in the name of the Lindsay Creamery Limited was obtained and the Flavelle family, who were the controlling shareholders of the business, operated the creamery for a number of years. In 1925 the business was merged with other department stores throughout Ontario and became known as Canadian Department Stores and eventually these stores were taken over by the T. Eaton Company. Flavelles had associations with Hall's Limited of Lindsay and H. R. Scott Limited of Peterborough. (Taken from: Flavelles Limited fonds. 92-003-1.) For photographs of the Sadler, Dundas & Flavelle's Flour Mill, Dundas & Flavelle Bro's store and the Dundas and Flavelle Bro's Egg House see accession 92-010 (Dorothy Choate Herriman fonds) Box 5, Folder 15.

Custodial History

This fonds was created by Flavelles Limited and in the custody of John Flavelle, before it was donated, via the Friends of the Bata Library, to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists primarily of business records of Flavelles Limited. It includes the charter, by-laws and minutes, ledgers, account books, audited statements, stock books and journals. There are also brief historical accounts of the family and the enterprises.

Notes

Title based on the creator of the fonds.

This fonds was donated by John Flavelle via the Friends of the Bata Library.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

For related records see: 92-010.

Finding Aid

SERIES A HISTORY OF FLAVELLES LTD.

Box 1, Folder 1: History of the business written in 1939 SERIES B CHARTERS, BY-LAWS AND MINUTES

Bound Volume 2: Minutes book of Sadler, Dundas and Flavelle Milling Company Ltd. with copy of charter, by-laws, etc. 1892- 1899 and Flavelle milling company Ltd. 1899-1911

Box 1, Folder 3: By-laws and a Letter from Leslie M. Frost, Box 1, Folder 4: Petition for charter and Letters Patent, Bound Volume 5: Record book with copy of company charter, Mar.23, 1904; By-laws, Apr.23, 1904; List of Directors, shareholders preferred and common, 1904-1940

Bound Volume 6: Book of Minutes of meetings of Flavelles Limited, 1904- 1943

Box 1, Folder 7: Surrender of Letters Patent of H.R. Scott SERIES C FINANCIAL RECORDS

Box 1, Folder 8: Miscellaneous Financial Papers, 1941-43 Bound Volume 9: John D. Flavelle account book, 1914-1925

Bound Volume 10: Household Expenses, 1932-42

Bound Volume 11: Audited Statement by J.R. McNeillie of the Sadler Dundas and Flavelle Milling Company Ltd (1893-1899) and of the Flavelle Milling Co. Ltd. 1899-1910

Bound Volume12: Flavelles Limited Storage Book, 1912-1932

Bound Volume13: Flavelles Limited Private Journal, 1905-1943

Bound Volume14: Flavelles Limited General Ledger, 1921-1943

Bound Volume15: Flavelles Limited Cash Book receipts and disbursements, (Supplies and Expenses Journal), 1943-1949

Bound Volume16: Flavelles Limited General Journal, 1932-1943

Bound Volume17: Flavelles Limited Private Ledger, 1906-1943  

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation