Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 92-002

Title

Mount St. Joseph teaching slides fonds. -- [between 1894 and 1914]. -- 103 photographs : glass slides ; 8.5 X 10 cm.

Biography / History

The Sisters of St. Joseph in Peterborough were formed from various congregations in Ontario during the year of 1890. They had been requested to leave their congregations, by Bishop R.A. O'Connor, to fill a need in services which were not being provided in Peterborough such as the care of the sick. When the Sisters arrived in Peterborough they were to work at the newly opened St. Joseph's Hospital. The Sisters helped with the care of the elderly with a senior's home called Marycrest. They established an orphanage called St. Vincent's Orphanage and which operated from 1909 to 1956. For more information on the history of Mount St. Joseph see As the Tree Grows: Celebrating 100 years of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peterborough, 1890-1990 ( Lindsay, Ontario: John Deyell Company Limited, 1993.)

Custodial History

This fonds was created by and in the custody of the Mount St. Joseph before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of glass slides which were used as teaching materials at Mount St. Joseph. The subjects include Tennyson: Idylls of the King, 55 slides; physiography, 15 slides; zoology, 5 slides; physics, 4 slides; English and history, 7 slides; and, European history, 6 slides. Ten of the slides in physiography, 2 slides in botany and 1 slide in chemistry were made by high school students in Lindsay.

Notes

Title based on organization which created the slides.

This fonds was donated by Sister Saint Damien of Mount Saint Joseph, Peterborough via Julie and Michael Visser.

Restrictions: N

For related records see: 83-1027, 89-1012 and 95-004.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation