Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 91-1029

Title

University of Toronto. Hart House dedication program. -- 11 Nov. 1919, 5 June 1924. -- 2 items.

Biography / History

Hart House was opened in 1919 at the University of Toronto, Ontario. It was a gift to the University by the Massey Foundation. Built by two Canadian architects, Sproatt and Rolph, it had a dining-hall for undergraduates, a faculty club, club rooms for graduate members, a music room, a chapel, a library, a room for debates, a completely equipped little theatre, a sketch room and various offices plus a running track, rooms for boxing, fencing and wrestling, a swimming pool, a billiard room, photographic dark rooms, a rifle range, common-rooms and guest rooms. Hart House was essentially a club for men. (Taken from: Wallace, W. Stewart. "A History of the University of Toronto." Toronto: The University of Toronto Press, 1927.)

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of a dedication program of Hart House at the University of Toronto on November 11, 1919. There is also a souvenir folder regarding the dedication of the Soldier's Tower with a colour etching of the Tower from June 5, 1924.

Notes

Title based on content of fonds.

This fonds was donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

Associated material located at University of Toronto.

For related records see: 89-1008.

Located in Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 32.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation