Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 91-1013

Title

Cobourg Harbour prints fonds. -- [ca. 188?]. -- 2 prints : lithograph, col. ; 16.5 X 20 cm (sight) in mats 28.5 X 35.5 cm.

Biography / History

The Cobourg Harbour originally was a wharf. The large steamers bringing in emigrants had to stand off shore and freight and passengers were transported by smaller boats to shore. In 1830 the Cobourg Harbour Company was formed and a proper Harbour was built. The harbour was one of the finest on the Lake Ontario shoreline. Due to the good harbour Cobourg experienced large amounts of traffic in freight and newcomers to Canada and due to this increased in size. By the 1850's Cobourg was the 5th largest centre in Canada West and it had the most important central Lake Ontario port. Cobourg had a ferry that operated between it and Rochester in New York. It was a point for shipping lumber and agricultural products all over the lake. (Taken from: "Cobourg Early Days and Modern Times." Cobourg: Cobourg Book Committee, 1981.)

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of two colour prints of Cobourg. One is of the lighthouse, entitled "Light Tower, near Coburg", by W.H. Bartlett and C. Cousen and the other is of Cobourg Harbour, entitled "Coburg", by W.H. Bartlett and R. Wallis.

Notes

Title based on content of prints.

This fonds was donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

Located in Large Materials Cabinet - Drawer 32.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation