Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 89-1009

Title

Extracts from the statutes of Canada and the by-Laws of the Municipality of Halidmand... -- [before 1940]. -- 1 item.

Biography / History

The Township of Halidmand is bounded on the north by the Township of Alnwick, on the east by the Township of Cramahe, on the west by the Township of Hamilton and on the south by Lake Ontario. Haldimand Township was partially surveyed in 1797 and again in 1822. By 1817 it had 6 258 acres under cultivation. There were three grist mills and four saw mills. By 1850 the population of the Township was 4 177 and by 1861 it was 6 164. The villages are Grafton, Eddystone, Centreton, Vernonville, Fenella, Bowmanton, Burnley, Colbourne and Wicklow. The population consisted mostly of settlers from Ireland, Scotland, England and some from the United States. One of the first settlers in the area was Benjamin Ewing, in 1798, from Vermont. The harbour for the Township was located at Grafton and built around 1836. (Taken from: "The H.H. Beldon Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, 1878." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Limited, 1972.)

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This item is broadside containing information about the By-Laws of the Municipality of Haldimand for the information of poundkeepers.

Notes

The broadside is fragile from tears. Handle flat and with care.

This item was donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation