Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 87-010

Title

Brighton photographic fonds. -- ca. 1910. -- 2 albums.

Biography / History

Brighton Township was created by an Act in 1851. It is bounded on the north by Seymour Township; on the west by Cramhe Township; on the east by Murray Township and on the south by Lake Ontario. It is part of the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham. The Village of Brighton was incorported in 1890 but existed well before then. Built on the Brighton Harbour as a point of entry it had a population of 500 in 1850 and 1700 in 1878. In 1850 it had two grist mills, a plaster mill and a tannery. By 1878 it had four churches and a school. The early settlers were the Singletons, Thayers, Proctors, Butlers, Lockwoods, Wills, Dr. Gross, Sanfords and Ketchums. John Lockwood was the first postmaster of the village. Brighton Harbour used to be known as Freeman Point and Gosport.

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of various photographs relating to the town of Brighton, Ontario. Walter Nichol Davidson, a Brighton merchant and other people, businesses and activities including store interiors from Brighton are included in this fonds.

Notes

Title based on subject of fonds.

This fonds donated by an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

For related records see: 83-1008 and 86-015 (Walter Nichol Davidson fonds).

Previously called Miscellaneous Photograph Album Collection.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation