Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 80-020

Title

St. John's Anglican Church fonds.-- Microfilmed [between 1977 and 1980]. -- 2 microfilm reels.

Biography / History

In 1827 the first Anglican church servicewas held in Peterborough by Reverend Samuel Armour. It took placein a log Schoolhouse located where Central Public School now stands.In 1835, the first Protestant Church in Peterborough began constructionwith the assistance of a Crown grant. In 1853, buttresses andpillars were added to the exterior and in 1876 a parish hall wasadded. In 1911, the congregation presented the church with a setof bells for the bell tower. In 1957 the building was remodeledand renovated, and a new chapel was added. (Taken from: "Peterborough:Land of Shining Water." Peterborough: Published by the Cityand County of Peterborough, 1967.)

Custodial History

The records were created by and the originalsare in the custody of St. John's Anglican Church. The microfilmwas donated to the Trent University Archives by Professor ElwoodJones.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of microfilmed copies ofparish registers, registers of service, financial records andearly records of St. John's Anglican Church from 1825 to 1935.

Notes

Title based on the organization which createdthe fonds.

The microfilm was donated by Professor ElwoodJones, Department of History, Trent University.

The original items remain at St. John's AnglicanChurch.

Restrictions: Permission of the University Archivist.

Microfilm. Set 35 - Located in the officeof the University Archivist.

Finding Aid

Reel No. 1:

Series A. Parish Registers
Series B. Registers of Service
Series C. Financial Records, 1 and 3

Reel No. 2:

Series C. Financial Records, 3 to 7
Series D. Early Papers

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation