Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 78-002

Title

Cobourg Post Office register of registered letters. -- 1865-1868. -- 1 v.

Biography / History

Cobourg is located in Hamilton Township, in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, on the north shore of Lake Ontario. The area was first settled in 1798 by Elias Nicholson who built his home within the limits of what was to become the town plot. Originally called Amherst, Cobourg has also been known by the names of Hamilton and Hardscrabble. In 1819, the developing town was given the name Cobourg. The post office was established by 1831 and the first postmaster was prominent businessman and merchant James G. Bethune. Cobourg was incorporated as a village in 1837 and incorporated as a town in 1850. (taken from "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Ontario." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Ltd., 1972.; and Guillet, E.C. "Cobourg 17798-1948." Oshawa: Goodfellow Printing Comapny Limited, 1948.)

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This item is a register of registered mail delivered to Cobourg Post Office between 1865 and 1868 showing where mail was mailed from, to whom it was addressed and the date it was delivered.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the item.

This item was donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation