Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 77-1004

Title

Re-survey : Bobcaygeon Road fonds. Additions. -- Photocopied [between 1963 and 1973]. -- 1 item (171 p.).

Biography / History

In 1852, William Lyon Mackenzie introduced to the Legislative Assembly a resolution asking for a survey of the Huron-Ottawa Territory. His intent was to increase settlement within the uninhabited region of Canada West, to encourage immigration from Europe, and discourage emigration from the province. This resolution, along with similar recommendations, led to the Colonization Roads policy, and ultimately to the passing of the Public Land Act in 1853 by the Legislature. This Act allowed the government "to appropriate as free grants any public land in the province to actual settlers, upon or in the vicinity of any public roads in any new settlements which shall or may be opened through the Lands of the Crown." The survey of the Bobcaygeon Road came about as a result of this legislation. Before 1854, the Bobcaygeon Road did not extend beyond the village of Bobcaygeon. By 1857, the road had been constructed to Kinmount. A year later, surveyor Michael Deane was commissioned by the Department of Crown Lands to conduct a survey of lot frontages along the proposed Bobcaygeon Road from just north of Kinmount (Somerville Township) to Bell's Line. In 1860, surveyor Crosbie Brady was hired to survey the Bobcaygeon Road from where Deane had left off, north of Bell's Line, to Nippissing Road Line, on the south shore of Lake Nippissing. Throughout the years, the road and the lots along either side of the road have been re-surveyed for the purpose of establishing specific boundaries and correcting any mistakes in the initial surveys. All that remains of the original Bobcaygeon Road today is Highway 649 which extends from the village of Bobcaygeon to Highaway 121, south of Kinmount. (Taken from: Spragge, George W. "Colonization Roads in Cananda West." "Ontario History." Vol. XLIX, no. 1, 1957., and W. D. Thomas. "Bobcaygeon: The Hub of the Kawartha's." Bobcaygeon: W. D. Thomas, 1980.)

Custodial History

The photocopies and typescript previously belonged to the Honourable Leslie M. Frost which he acquired from the Surveys Branch of the Department of Lands and Forests, Province of Ontario (previously the Department of Crown Lands).

Scope and Content

This addition to the fonds consists of photocopies of the original report, field notes, diary and index of the re-survey of free grants on the Bobcaygeon Road, south of Bell's Line. The field notes are in diagram form with remarks on soil and timber. The fonds also includes notes on side roads, Concession "A", Township of Sherbourne, Ridout, Franklin and the "Queen's Line", and the Township of Franklin. Also included is a typescript of a report dated July 15, 1862 to Hon. Wm. Macdougall, Commissioner of Crown Lands.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

The fonds was bequeathed to Trent University Archives by the Honourable Leslie M. Frost.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

Associated material located at the Archives of Ontario (see Colonization Roads).

This fonds is an addition to 77-1002.

For related records see: 77-024, 77-1003 and 78-1002.

The report etc. were written by J.Stoughton Dennis.

Bound copy of the field notes located in Large Material Cabinet - Drawer 26.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation