Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 77-037

Title

United States. Armed Forces. Northwest Service Command: Records of the Canol Project and Alaskan Highway. -- Microfilmed 1974. -- 17 microfilm reels.

BIOGRAPHY / HISTORY

The early 1940's saw the rapid development of Canadian-American relations brought about by the pressures of World War II. These new relations included military co-operation and economic co-operation exemplified by the Ogdensburg Declaration of August 1940 and the Hyde Park Declaration of April 1941. An area of concern for both Canada and the United States was the region known as the Canadian northwest (north of 60th parallel, west of the 110th meridian). After the Japanese attack on the military base of Pearl Harbour, December 7, 1941, the United States military became increasingly concerned over the safety of Alaska. American military leaders decided that the Canadian northwest was the ideal region on which to build secondary lines of communication to Alaska. This led to the development of the Alaska Highway and the Canol pipeline project to provide transportation into and out of Alaska and petroleum products for the military bases which were quickly cropping up in the area. Both of these projects were under the supervison of the Northwest Service Command of the United States Military and lasted from 1942 to 1945.

CUSTODIAL HISTORY

The microfilms were purchased by the Trent University Archives from the United States' National Archives in Washington, D.C.

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The microfilms are of records of the United States army, Northwest Service Command and 6th Service Command dealing with the Canol Project and the Alaska Highway Project, including reports, general orders, histories, maps and charts, minutes of meetings and conferences, and demobilization plans. These records also contain international agreements between Canada and the United States. The records on the microfilm date from 1940 to 1946.

Notes


Title based on the contents of the records.
The microfilm was purchased from the National Archives, Washington, D.C.
The original records are located in RG 338 at the National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Restrictions: N

Microfilm. Set 26.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation