Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 76-1000

Title

Havelock Electric Light and Power Company Limited letters patent. -- 21 Mar. 1903. -- 1 item.

Biography / History

In 1903 it was decided by the people of the village of Havelock, Ontario, that the construction of a hydro power supply plant was necessary and possible. The chosen site was located at Burnt Dam, six miles north of Havelock, in Belmont Township. It was estimated that the financial outlay to undertake this project would be $8,000. To raise the money, steps were taken to form a joint stock company to be known as the Havelock Electric Light and Power Company Ltd. Very quickly all of the stocks were sold and a generating building was constructed on the chosen site. From 1903 to 1920 the Havelock Electric Light and Power Company Ltd. supplied electricity to users in Havelock at a flat rate of $2.00 per month. In March, 1920, a contract was made with Ontario Hydro and power in the village was then supplied by the Havelock Hydro Commission. (Taken from: Hunter, Harold R. "Havelock Through the Years." Belleville: Mika Publishing Company, 1990.)

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

This item is a letters patent incorporating the Havelock Electric Light and Power Company, dated March 21, 1903 and recorded by the Deputy Provincial Registrar on March 25, 1903.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the item.

This item was donated from an unknown source.

Restrictions: N

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation