Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 75-1035

Title

Trent Valley Navigation Company (Limited) fonds. -- Photocopied [before 1975]. -- 1 folder.

Biography / History

The Trent Valley Navigation Company, Bobcaygeon, Ontario, was incorporated in 1883. Mossom Martin (Mossie) Boyd was the president of the company and he and his brother William owned nearly all of the stock. The company consisted of a fleet of a half dozen steamboats which operated along the waterways surrounding Bobcaygeon, carrying passengers and freight from Lindsay to Coboconk, Sturgeon Point, Fenlon Falls and Bobcaygeon. At Lindsay there was a connection with the Grand Trunk Railway. In the most productive years (after the turn of the century) revenue was almost evenly divided between passenger and freight transportation. The Company closed in 1915, precipitated by the death of Mossie Boyd the previous year.

Custodial History

The original materials are in the custody of the National Archives of Canada MG 28 III. The photocopies were donated by Sheila Boyd via Reverend E.L. Straker to the Trent University Archives. The addition of 1977 was previously in the custody of of Russ Boyle of Peterborough, Ontario before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of photocopies of: a) a minute book including the letters patent incorporating the company (October 19, 1883) and minutes of a Director's meeting, February 5, 1900; b) by-laws of the company passed in Lindsay January 26, 1884; c) document headed "by-laws" repealing previous by-laws and a list of shareholders, December 31, 1884; and d) document with signatures of shareholders, October 8, 1883, minutes of a meeting on January 19, 1884, and advertisements. The addition on April 1, 1977 consisted of a photocopy of a brochure titled "Kawartha Lakes: The Bright Waters and Happy Land" with timetables for 1907. The fonds also includes some records pertaining to the Trent Valley Navigation Company.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

The photocopies were donated by Reverend E.L. Straker, Christ Church, Bobcaygeon, Ontario and Russ Boyle of Peterborough, Ontario.

The originals are located in the Boyd Papers at the National Archives of Canada (MG28).

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y (see the PAC finding aid in the Boyd family donor file)

Associated material located at the National Archives of Canada.

For related records see: 72-1003, 73-1001, 75-1024 and 88-011.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation