Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 75-1023

Title

Christ Church fonds. Additions. -- Photocopied [between 1970 and 1975]. -- 1 folder.

Biography / History

In 1869, Reverend C.W. Patterson was appointed to Bobcaygeon, Ontario. Previous to 1869, a sum of money had been collected and deposited in the Peterborough branch of the Bank of Toronto as a building fund for the construction of an Anglican Church in Bobcaygeon. It was decided in the same year that enough money had been collected and that a new church and parsonage should be built. Architect John E. Belcher was contracted to design and build the church and parsonage in 1870. On January 5, 1871, Christ Church was formally opened by the Lord Bishop of Toronto.

Custodial History

Copies of these records were originally created for Mossom Boyd and have been photocopied from the Boyd Papers, at the Public Archives of Canada. Reverend E.L. Straker obtained copies of the records and donated them to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This addition to the fonds consists of photocopies of the records of Christ Church, Bobcaygeon, giving an outline history of the beginnings of the congregation and church construction, treasurer's accounts (Building Committee), Font Account (Reverend C.W. Paterson), Bazaar Account, and Liabilities Account (Building Committee). The records photocopied range from 1869 to 1881.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

The photocopies were donated by Reverend E.L. Straker, Christ Church, Bobcaygeon, Ontario.

Originals located at the National Archives of Canada: MG 28 III Vol. 235.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

Associated material located at the National Archives of Canada.

This fonds is an addition to 75-004.

For related records see: 74-020, 75-004 and 75-1024.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation