Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 75-1009

Title

Seymour Township fonds. -- 3 Jan. 1852. -- 1 item.

Biography / History

Seymour Township, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham (east portion of Northumberland), is bounded on the north by Belmont Township, Peterborough County, on the south by Brighton and Murray Townships, on the east by Rawdon Township, Hastings County, and on the west by Percy and Asphodel Townships, Peterborough County. Seymour Township was partially surveyed in 1819 by Brown, and the survey was completed in 1833, by Major Campbell. The township is traversed by two rivers, the Trent and the Crow, both of which provided excellent sources of water power throughout the township. The population of Seymour was 2,117 in 1850, and had more than doubled by 1871 to 4,289. Native Indians accounted for approximately two thirds of the population, while settlers of English, Irish and Scottish origin comprised the remaining portion. Most of the very early settlers in the region were half-pay military and naval officers. Major Campbell, is the man for whom the town of Campbellford is named. Campbellford was incorporated in 1876. Due to the water power created by the Trent River, the town of Campbellford quickly became a manufacturing centre with several grist mills, saw mills and woolen mills. The land of Seymour Township was extremely fertile, and lent itself well to farming and argicultural enterprise of the early settlers. Today, Seymour Township still remains largely an agricultural region in Northumberland County.

Custodial History

This fonds was in the custody of Ed Phelps before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of a letter by Henry Rowed, census enumerator, to Thomas Ayre, census commissioner for United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, relating to physical characteristics and economic outlook of Seymour Township. There is reference made on the effect of repeal of British corn laws upon winter wheat culture in the township.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

The fonds was donated by Ed Phelps of London, Ontario.

Restrictions: N

For related records see: 83-016 and 84-004 (UCND vital statistics).

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation