Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 75-1008

Title

Upper Canada. Victoria County. Emily Township Petition. -- 20 Mar. 1829. -- 1 item.

Biography / History

Emily Township in Victoria County, previously Northumberland County in Newcastle District, was partly surveyed between October 18 and December 31, 1818 by Samuel Wilmot. The second part of the survey was completed by March 31, 1819. Emily Township is bounded by Verulam Township to the north, Ops and Manvers Townships to the east, Ennismore Township to the west, and Cavan Township to the south. It was described by Wilmot in a letter to the Suveyor General: "The quality of the land whereon there is maple, oak, elm and beech timber is exceedingly good, but the township is very much cut to pieces with swamps and a river that takes its rise in Manvers, presses diagonally through the township from the 2nd concession on that (west) boundary to the 12th concession on the east boundary, with immense marshes on each side." By the end of 1819, 44 settlers had been granted 100 acre half lots in the six concessions of Emily, between lots 8 and 23. By the end of 1820, the population had reached close to 100. The granting of lots tapered off between 1822 to 1824, and the first half of 1825. This occurred for two reasons: 1) the number of individuals coming to the district to seek land had decreased, and 2) the Land Board showed an interest in sending more newcomers into Smith, Otonabee, Ops and Mariposa Townships. Between 1822 and 1824 only 40 land grants were made in Emily Township. Even though migration into the township had decreased, the population continued grow. By 1825, the population had more than doubled to 216 inhabitants. From September to November of the same year, there was a large influx of Irish emigrants brought into Emily Township by Peter Robinson. In the following year, the population had increased to 837, three quarters of which were Robinson emigrants. The main source of livelihood for the settlers in Emily Township was agriculture. There were no mills in Emily until 1832, when William Cotnam built both grist and saw mills on his land beside the Pigeon River. Industry never really began in Emily Township, and it remained mainly an agricultural area. (Taken from Pammett, Howard. "Lilies and Shamrocks: A History of the Township of Emily in the County of Victoria". Lindsay: John Deyell Co., 1974.)

Custodial History

This item was in the custody of Ed Phelps before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This item is a petition of freeholders of Emily Township to John Huston, Surveyor of Highways, paying for alterations in roads, especially along the Emily/Ennismore boundary.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the item.

This item was donated by Ed Phelps of London, Ontario.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

Associated materials may be found in the Archives of Ontario. (See Crown Lands Papers and Land Board Records)

For related records see: 71-006 and 82-002.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation