Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 75-1003

Title

Peterborough Fire Brigade : Fire Roll Book. -- Photocopied [between 1970 and 1975]. -- 1 item.

Biography / History

Previous to 1908, Peterborough's fire brigade ran on a totally voluntary basis. The volunteers were paid a fifteen dollar yearly honorarium for their efforts. From 1886 to 1908, the fire department was housed in the town buildings on the southeast corner of the market square and it shared quarters with the police department. On New Year's Day 1908, a new fire station was opened on Aylmer Street. In the same year, it was decided by the City of Peterborough that a permanent fire brigade was necessary. The change from voluntary to permanent brigade took place on June 30, 1908, and was marked by a grand procession of the old fire brigade.

Custodial History

The fire roll book was copied with the permission of Martha Ann Kidd and the photocopies were donated by Martha Ann Kidd to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This item is a roll book for fires in and around Peterborough, Ontario, between 1886 and 1900, with names of fire-fighters, drill entries, dates and places of fires as well as false alarms.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the item.

This item was donated by Martha Ann Kidd.

The originals belong to Martha Ann Kidd.

Restrictions: N

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation