Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 74-021

Title

Millbrook and Cavan Township fonds. -- [between 1920 and 1940]. -- 1 folder.

Biography / History

The Township of Cavan, located in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham (previously Durham County), was first surveyed in 1817 by Samuel G. Wilmot (who also surveyed North Monaghan and Smith Townships). The land which was to become Cavan Township was virgin forest, untouched by Europeans, and no longer considered Indian territory. Wilmot was assisted by John Deyell, who, with James Deyell were two of the first settlers in Cavan Township. They established a mill on a brook in 1824, and as a result, were the founders of the village of Millbrook. John Deyell was also responsible for the name of the township, Cavan County, being a neighbour of Monaghan County, the County in Ireland from whence he came. Cavan Township was settled quite quickly. The same year it was surveyed, 115 lots were ticketed. By the next year, 1818, a further 160 lots were ticketed. The total population of the township in 1819 was 244. Many of the pioneer settlers of the new township were either military men who were given land grants for their services in the War of 1812, or Irish emigrants, many who were from County Cavan in Ireland. In 1825, the population reached 936; ten years later, in 1835, the population had more than doubled to 2,575. Cavan continued grow, and its population peaked in 1861, at 4,901.

Custodial History

This fonds was compiled and in the custody of F.L. Clarry, K.C., of Lindsay, Ontario until it was donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds is a small collection of historical information on the people, places, mills, organizations in Cavan Township and the Village of Millbrook. Included are reminiscences from pioneer descendants, essays on the Cavan Blazers (an Orange vigilante group), early mills, prominent pioneer citizens and local legends.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

The fonds was donated by Mr. F.L. Weldon.

Restrictions: N

Associated material located in the Peterborough Centennial Museum.

For related records see: 71-006.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation