Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 74-015

Title

Moose Factory Mission Church fonds. -- Microfilmed Dec. 1967. -- 1 microfilm reel.

Biography / History

In 1840, three Wesleyan Methodist Missionaries were sent from England, to Moose Factory, to bring the Gospel to the Indians of the region. Reverend George Barnley, one of the three missionaries, made the fort at Moose Factory the centre of his eight year ministry, where he built St. Thomas Church (later St. Thomas Anglican Church). When this mission was closed by the Methodists in 1848, it was vacant for several years before the Church Missionary Society of the Church of England sent Reverend John Horden to Moose Factory in 1851. He later became the first Bishop of the diocese of Moosonee in 1872. He died in Moosonee in 1893.

Custodial History

The fonds was made available for microfilming by the Archives of Ontario by Right Reverend J.A. Watton, Anglican Bishop of Moosonee, Schumacher, Ontario and a copy of the microfilm was purchased by the Trent University Archives from the Archives of Ontario.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and deaths, preachers' book and diary, church accounts, and history of the Christian mission at Moose Factory.

Notes

Title based on contents of fonds.

The microfilm was purchased from the Archives of Ontario.

The originals are located in the Diocese of Moosonee.

Restrictions: N

For related records see: 74-014 and 74-016.

Microfilm. Set 10.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation