Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 74-014

Title

St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church of Moose Factory, Ontario fonds. -- Microfilmed 16 June 1969. -- 1 microfilm reel.

Biography / History

The Church Missionary Society of the Church of England placed Reverend John Horden, the first Anglican priest in the region, at Moose Factory, formerly of the Diocese of Prince Rupert, on August 26, 1851. Over twenty years later, on December 15, 1872, he was consecrated the first Bishop of Moosonee. At this time Moose Factory became the episcopal seat of an immense diocese which covered a band of territory, two to three hundred miles wide, surrounding the the eastern, southern and western shores of Hudson Bay. St. Thomas Church was already in existence when Rev. Horden arrived in Moose Factory. The original church was built by Reverend George Barnley, of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and it was replaced by a larger building in 1860, which was built by workmen of the Hudson's Bay Company. St. Thomas Anglican Church was the Pro-Cathedral of the Diocese of Moosonee from 1872 to 1903.

Custodial History

The fonds are in the custody of the Archdeacon of St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church, Moose Factory, Ontario. They were microfilmed by the Archives of Ontario and the fonds was purchased by the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of microfilmed copies of 3 volumes, which include 2 registers of baptisms (1852-1893), and one register of burials (1851-1906).

Notes

Title based on the organization which created the fonds.

The microfilm was purchased from the Archives of Ontario.

The originals are located at St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church, Moose Factory, Ontario.

Restrictions: N

Associated material located in the National Archives of Canada and the Archives of Ontario.

For related records see: 74-015 and 74-016.

Microfilm. Set 9.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation