Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 69-001

Title

Helen Marryat fonds. -- 4 Feb. 1912-21 Nov. 1964. -- 1.3 m textual records. -- ca. 700 photographs. -- 16 maps.

Biography / History

Helen Lauder Marryat (nee Fowlds) was born at Hastings, Ontario, October 28, 1889. She was the only daughter of Frederick W. Fowlds and the former Elizabeth Sutherland, and the great granddaughter of Henry Fowlds, pioneer lumberman and founder of Hastings. On the maternal side, her grandfather was John Sutherland, Mayor of Cobourg, Ontario, in 1875. She received her education at Hastings, and the Norwood High School, and graduated as a nurse from Grace Hospital, Toronto. During World War I, Miss Fowlds served as a nursing sister in France, the Dardanelles, Salonica, and England, and was awarded the Royal Red Cross decoration by George V in recognition of gallantry under fire (she was wounded while helping to evacuate a hospital in the Middle East). On April 25, 1921, Helen Fowlds married Captain Gerald Marryat who had served during World War I with the Canadian Engineers. They lived in Montreal and then retired to Hastings where Gerald conducted an insurance agency (which Helen continued to run after his death). Helen Marryat is best known as a local historian who collected information and wrote many newspaper articles on Hastings Ontario, Asphodel Township and Peterborough County. Helen Marryat died in Hastings, at Ashfield House, on June 16, 1965.

Custodial History

The fonds was created and maintained by Helen Marryat, and it remained in her posession until it was bequeathed to Trent University upon her death.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists mostly of Helen Marryat's (nee Helen Fowlds) personal experiences as a nurse in World War I, and her activities as a local historian. There are clippings of her articles in local newspapers, historical maps (drawn by Gerald Marryat) and other materials relating to settlement of Hastings and district such as education and nursing. Also included are the correspondence and photograph collections of her brothers, Donald and Eric (mostly from World War I), and material on Frederick Marryat (1792-1848), navy captain and novelist. In December 2001, Trent University Archives launched an online exhibit which depicts Helen Fowld's experiences in World War I. All her letters and diaries are transcribed and are found at the following site: http://www.trentu.ca/library/archives/ffowldswelcome.htm.

Notes

Title based on the title of the fonds. Some of the textual records (i.e. correspondence) are extremely brittle and fragile. They should be handled with care and not be reproduced by means of photocopy.

The fonds was bequeathed to Trent University in June 1965 by Helen Marryat.

The original order of the fonds no longer exists. It has been divided into two distinct series: personal materials and historical materials. Each series has been arranged by type of material (i.e correspondence, articles, photographs) within a specific subject area, and placed in chronological order.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

No further accruals expected.

This fonds has one addition: 84-1000.

For related records see: 72-001.

FINDING AID

Table of Contents

Series I: Personal Materials (Correspondence and Photographs)

Box 1: Fowlds, Helen. W.W.I diaries and autograph book, September 1915 to November 1918. W.W.I photographs.

Box 2: Fowld, Helen. Miscellaneous: directory of Nursing Sisters Association of Canada; undated and dated wartime correspondence from her brothers, Donald and Eric; undated general postwar correspondence.

Box 3: Marryat, Helen. Dated correspondence, December 2, 1931 to December 25, 1960.

Box 4: Marryat, Helen. Dated correspondence, January 2, 1961 to May 1965. Marryat family items; articles re: Captain Frederick Marryat, R.N.

Series II: Historical Materials (Clippings, Notes, Correspondence etc.)

Box 5: Marryat, Helen. Articles in various regional newspapers: -Hastings Press, December 1948 to March 1956-Peterborough Examiner, September1946 to March 1965 -Port Hope Evening Guide, June to July 1954.Articles by various authors clipped from local papers; extracts from the Peterborough Review, Gazette and the Birdsall scrapbook.

Box 6: Marryat, Helen. Miscellaneous historical material, including her index of names, places, births and deaths.

Box 7: History of Cobourg and Hastings. Topics include early settlement, and settlers' accounts; floods, fires and calamities; public school education; early industry; Hastings churches. Cobourg material is sparse.

Box 8: Hastings, Ontario. All four folders contain unlisted photographs of people.

Box 9: Hastings, Ontario. Photograph of the Trent Canal under construction. Includes one folder of copy prints, and one folder of area maps.

Box 10: Port Hope - historical sketches. Westwood - historical sketches, education.Asphodel township - education;religious history; populationrecords, and survey maps; militiarecords; sketches of originalsettlers (including Robinsonimmigrants of 1825). Alnwick township - settlement, survey plan Dummer township - school teachers, 1851 to 1861.Otonabee township - education,settlement. Percy township - settlement, militia, prominent families. Bethune family of Cobourg - notes, drafts of articles. Birdsall, Richard - biographical notes; original correspondence relating to surveys, land settlement, militia, early canals and family matters, 1838 to 1851. See list Blacklock, Miss M.E. - biography and correspondence (29 letters) re: local historical affairs in Hastings. See list.

Box 11: Henry Lye, Hastings: receipts, reminiscences of Hastings and detailed accounts of bees in the area. Originals and transcripts. Margaret Fowlds - autograph book. Sutherland family genealogy and obituaries and details of the Fowlds/Marryat connection. Sutherland family correspondence. See List.

SERIES I: PERSONAL MATERIAL (CORRESPONDENCE & PHOTOGRAPHS)Box 1

Folder 1: Fowlds, Helen - diaries and autograph book

(a) September to November 1915
(b) November 1915 to November 1916
(c) January to July 1918 (plus 1930's family notes)
(d) Autograph book, 1915

Folders 2-7. Fowlds, Helen, W.W.I photographs

Box 2

Miscellaneous; wartime and postwar correspondence

Folder 1:

1-5: poetry
6: Hastings Honour Roll
7-9: W.W.I clippings
10: programme for 50th Anniversary celebration of Confederation (Westminster)
11: re: grave of Donald Fowlds
12-16: Helen Fowlds' war decoration papers
17-23: Red Cross articles; programmes and articles

Folder 2.

24: Directory of Nursing Sisters Association of Canada

Folder 3.

25-32: undated letters from her brothers Eric and Donald, in France

Folder 4:

33-57: dated wartime letters (Note: Only those from her brothers are identified in the list).

33: Sept 14, 1913 from Donald in Glenavon, Sask.

35: March 27, 1915 from Eric in France

36: April 1, 1915 from Eric in France

37: April 4 1915 from Eric in France

38: June 16, 1915 from Eric in France

40: Jan 13, 1916 from Eric in Lympne, Kent.

41: Feb 14, 1916 from Eric in Faversham, Kent.

42: April 22, 1917 from Eric in France

43: May 15, 1917 from Eric with C.E.F.

44: May 21, 1917 from Eric with C.E.F.

45: May 26, 1917 from Eric with C.E.F.

46: June 3, 1917 from Donald with C.E.F.

47: June 11, 1917 from Eric with C.E.F.

48: June 17, 1917 from Donald with C.E.F.

49: Oct 21, 1917 from Donald

50: Apr 5, 1918 from Donald in Rouen

51: Apr 29, 1918 from Donald in Louval Depot.

52: June 2, 1918 from Donald with C.E.F.

Folder 5:

1-80: Undated postwar correspondence

Guillet - 23

Kay Douglas - 25-44

Crooks Family - 53 Atwood - 78-79

Folder 6:

81-96: Undated postwar correspondence Provincial Archivist - 92

Folder 7:

97-123: Undated postwar correspondence -all items are from E.C. Guillet

Box 3

Correspondence: Dec 2, 1931 to Dec 25, 1960

Folder 1:

124-166: Correspondence, Dec 2, 1931 to Dec 31, 1946

Kay Douglas - 130-131, 140, 145

McCrea - 138-139, 147, 163

Guillet - 141-143, 160

Atwood - 152, 157, 159

Folder 2:

167-226: Correspondence, Jan 6, 1947 to Dec 31, 1947

Kay Douglas - 174, 206

Guillet - 179-180, 188

Atwood - 170, 178, 194, 198

Ontario Hist. Soc. - 172, 173, 175-177, 182-189, 200, 210, 214, 215, 218, 221

Crooks Family - 196, 209

Provincial Archivist - 217, 220, 222, 223, 226

Folder 3:

227-279: Correspondence, Jan 3, 1948 to Dec 19, 1948

Kay Douglas - 277

Guillet - 228, 254

Atwood - 236, 246, 255, 261, 264, 266, 270.

Ontario Hist. Soc. - 229, 230, 232, 237, 239, 240, 247, 263, 265, 266.

Provincial Archivist - 231, 250, 252, 257-259, 272, 273, 275.

Folder 4.

280-327: Correspondence, Jan 4, 1949 to Dec 11, 1950

O.H.S. - 281, 289, 290, 324

Kay Douglas - 283

Guillet - 284

Provincial Archivist - 293, 298, 300, 309

Atwood - 305

Folder 5.

328-353: Correspondence, Jan 9, 1951 to Dec 15, 1951

Provincial Archivist - 330, 334, 343

McKay - 336, 339, 342

Folder 6.

354-401: Correspondence, Jan 12, 1952 to Dec 19, 1953

McKay - 357, 358

Kay Douglas - 373, 398

Folder 7.

402-445: Correspondence, Feb 8 to Dec 15, 1954

Provincial Archivist - 421, 425

Kay Douglas - 433

Guillet - 442, 444

Folder 8.

446-484: Correspondence, Jan 10, 1955 to Dec 8, 1956

Guillet - 450, 455, 457, 460, 479, 481

Folder 9.

485-518: Correspondence, Feb 6, 1957 to Dec 29, 1958

Guillet - 487-489, 504, 513-515, 518

Provincial Archivist - 493

Folder 10.

519-550: Correspondence, Jan 11, 1959 to Dec 25, 1960

Provincial Archivist - 543

Box 4

Correspondence and family materials

Folder 1.

544-574: Correspondence, Jan 2, 1961 to Nov 27, 1962

Guillet - 547

Robertson Davies - 560, 565

O.H.S. - 562

Folder 2.

575-616: Correspondence, Jan 6, 1963 to May 14, 1965

Trent University - 579, 581, 582, 587, 601, 602.

Guillet - 600 O.H.S. - 604, 612

Kay Douglas - 610

Folder 3.

617-619: Undated letters sent

Folder 4.

620-641: Dated letters sent, Sept 2, 1947 to Nov 21, 1964 Most of these were to Guillet

Folder 5.

1-18:
1: Daily Journal of Charles Marryat, 1802-1859
2: Typescript copy of C.M. daily journal
3: Pedigree and Memoranda of the Family of Marryat
4-10: Correspondence re: Pedigree, Feb 14, to July 13, 1936
11-13: earlier correspondence re: Pedigree, Feb 1; March 12; May 25, 1932
14: addition to family history
15: pencil drawing of Gerald Marryat, age one, 5 March 1877
16: Obituary notice - John Francis Marryat
17: extract from Briggs "Humorus of '37 Lizars"
18: clipped article from the Denmark, a Monthly Review of Anglo-Danish Relations (June 1952) The Marryats - A Family of Writers and Fighters.

Folder 6.

19-22: Reviews of various publications relating to Captain Frederick Marryat, R.N.

Folder 7. 23-38: Miscellaneous materials re: Gerald Marryat and family

23: A list of Old Marlburians in the Forces, 1939-43
24: Marlborough College - Roll of Honour, 1939-46
25-26: Reminiscence of Gerald Marryat
27: correspondence with George Douglas re: Bold Hill
28: re: 1924 Annual Report of O.L.S. Association - J.W. Pierce, O.L.S., April 23, 1947
29: re: Marryat crest, July 27, 1936 to Mrs C.R. Marryat
30: Nov 24, 1931, from Professor Callendar re: naval training
31: materials re: Supper Marryat
32: correspondence from Gerald Fowlds to Mrs. Fowlds, May 12, 1914, from France
33: Survey of South 1/2 lot 22 Conc. XII, Perry Twp.
34-38: transcripts of letters from Mary Christie (daughter of Henry Fowlds Sr.) to Elgin Fowlds

SERIES II: HISTORICAL MATERIAL

Box 5

Pioneer days in Hastings and District in The Hastings Press

Folder 1: Items 1-28

1: Dec 23, 1948 no title (William Foley left alone with dead man)
2: Jan 6, 1949 no title (Battle of Chrysler's Farm)
3: Jan 13, 1949 no title (Brock's monument)
4: Jan 20, 1949 Richard Birdsall Knew James Crooks
5: Jan 27, 1949 no title (remembrances of Miss M.E. Blacklock)
6: Feb 3, 1949 no title (remembrances of Miss M.E. Blacklock) second article
7: Feb 10, 1949 no title (remembrances of Mrs. J. Garside)
8: Feb 17, 1949 no title (early account of sport in the Trent Valley)
9: Feb 24, 1949 A Bear Hunt
10: Mar 3, 1949 no title (Settlement of Loyalists in area)
11: Mar 10, 1949 17,000 Years Ago
12: Mar 17, 1949 no title (Indian Mounds)
13: Apr 7, 1949 no title (Timothy Coughlan)
14: May 26, 1949 no title (early Hastings residents)
15: June 2, 1949 Early Settlers
16: June 9, 1949 Rev. Archibald Colquhoun, Hastings First Presbyterian Minister
17: June 16, 1949 Rev. Archibald Colquhoun, Hastings First Presbyterian Minister continued
18: June 23, 1949 Early Settlers
19: July 7, 1949 Disastrous Fires of July 1897
20: July 14, 1949 Big Events in Hasting's History
21: July 21, 1949 First Political Meeting
22: Aug 4, 1949 First Streets in Hastings
23: Aug 11, 1949 The Bucks were English
24: Oct 6, 1949 no title (Alexander McDowell and David Bartley - first contracting company in Hastings)
25: Oct 13, 1949 First Store South of Trent River in Hastings
26: Nov 3, 1949 no title (William Whitehead and Cotton Factory)
27: Dec 8, 1949 Paul Blackmore Taught Here in 1860
28: Dec 29, 1949 New Year's Day in the Days of Long Ago

Folder 2: Items 29-73

29: Jan 5, 1950 Transportation Problems in 1869
30: Jan 12, 1950 From Tallow Dips to Electricity In a Life-Time
31: Jan 19, 1950 Hastings as it was in 1900
32: Jan 26, 1950 Hastings in 1869 [missing as of March 29, 1994]
33: Feb 2, 1950 The Humphries Family Graveyard 3
4: Feb 9, 1950 The Messanger, Hastings' First Newspaper
35: Feb 23, 1950 The Old Steamer Forester
36: Mar 2, 1950 Old Pioneer Families Represented in Hastings
37: Mar 9, 1950 Old Pioneer Families Represented in Hastings, Part II 3
8: Mar 16, 1950 The Hastings Cotton Mill
39: Mar 23, 1950 no title (People associated with the Hastings Cotton Mill)
40: Mar 30, 1950 William J. Whitehead Pioneer in Textile Industry
41: Apr 6, 1950 The first Carding Mill
42: Apr 13, 1950 C.R. Whitehead Followed in Father's Footsteps
43: Apr 20, 1950 Hastings had a Drill Shed in 1866
44: Apr 27, 1950 Early Mills at Norwood, Formerly Keller's Mills
45: May 4, 1950 Hastings in 1858 was Already a Busy Place
46: May 13, 1950 Building Boom in Hastings in 1896 Union Bank Opened Branch
47: May 18, 1950 Early Mills in the Westwood District
48: May 25, 1950 The Bridge That Talked
49: June 8, 1950 The Hills Came From Lincolnshire in 1829
50: June 15, 1950 "Urton Hill, my Trusty Lieutenant"
51: June 22, 1950 First Planing Mill on Site of Grenville Thompson's Grocery Store
52: June 29, 1950 First Planing Mill on Site of Grenville Thompson's Grocery Store Continued
53: July 6, 1950 William Hare, Loyalist, was original Owner of South Half of Hastings
54: July 13, 1950 Hastings was known as Crooks Rapids until 1851
55: July 20, 1950 James Crooks Was a Scotchman
56: July 27, 1950 The Gypsy's Prophecy and James Crook's Marriage
57: Aug 17, 1950 Hastings Drill Shed Built in 1869
58: Aug 24, 1950 James Crooks Supplied First Paper Ever Made in Upper Canada
59: Aug 31, 1950 James Crooks first petitioned for a Mill-Seat on the Trent in 1825
60: Sept 7, 1950 James Crooks built first Grist Mill where Lock is Now in 1828
61: Sept 14, 1950 Progress at Crooks' Rapids Halted by Mackenzie Rebellion
62: Sept 21, 1950 Progress at Crook's Rapids Halted by Mackenzie Rebellion continued
63: Sept 28, 1950 Hon. James Crooks Visited Crook's Rapids in July, 1844
64: Oct 5, 1950 Hon. James Crooks Sold Crook's Rapids to Henry Fowlds, Sept 27, 1851
65: Oct 12, 1950 Hastings First Anglican Church Opened Sept 28th
66: Oct 19, 1950 Adjutant-General of Upper Canada Once Owned Land in Hastings
67: Oct 26, 1950 Col. Foster Served Upper Canada Well in 1812 and 1837
68: Nov 2, 1950 Col. Foster Service Recognized Only After His Death
69: Nov 16, 1950 Peter Perry Original Owner of Part of Norwood Village
70: Nov 23, 1950 Methodists in Percy Township Visited by Anson Green in 1824
71: Nov 30, 1950 Sir Richard Bonnycastle Called Early Lumbermen Rascals
72: Dec 7, 1950 Wolves and Foxes Inhabited Ghost Village at Healey's Falls in 1845
73: Dec 14, 1950 Christianity first offered to the Indians in the District

Folder 3. Items 74-106

74: Jan 4, 1951 The Rev. William Young First Resident Minister in the Wilds of Asphodel
75: Jan 11, 1951 Sir Richard Bonnycastle has narrow escape at Healey's Falls in 1845
76: Jan 18, 1951 Sir Richard Bonnycastle has narrow escape at Healey's Falls in 1845 Continued
77: Jan 25, 1951 Steamboats enjoyed greatest popularity in 1850 before rail roads came
78: Feb 1, 1951 Phil Curtin Sold in Fight for Yankees
79: Feb 15, 1951 Solomon Waldon of Percy Mills was One of the Early Methodist Cavalry
80: Feb 22, 1951 Asphodel Mission Changed to Norwood Mission in 1845-6
81: Mar 22, 1951 Old Bold Hill
82: Apr 5, 1951 Old Bold Hill Continued
83: Apr 12, 1951 Hastings Firemen wore hard leather hats in 1891
84: Apr 19, 1951 Teachers in Percy Township
85: Apr 26, 1951 Teachers in Percy Township continued
86: May 3, 1951 Teachers in Percy Townshipcontinued
87: May 10, 1951 Early School in the Township of Asphodel
88: May 17, 1951 Early Local School Superintendents in the Township of Asphodel
89: May 24, 1951 Early Local School Superintendents in the Township of Asphodel PART II
90: May 31, 1951 Education in Asphodel and Dummer before 1854
91: June 7, 1951 Minister of Hastings and Norwood Presbyterian Churches. The Rev. Thomas F. Fotheringham MA. DD 1875- 81
92: June 14, 1951 Teachers in Asphodel before the year 1861 - George Henthorn - Westwood School in 1849-1850
93: June 21, 1951 Early Teachers in Westwood School, No. 1 Asphodel
94: June 28, 1951 Francis Sharp, Teacher in Asphodel to Receive a Superannuation Pension
95: July 5, 1951 Francis Sharp, Teacher in Asphodel to Receive a Superannuation Pension Continued
96: July 12, 1951 Norwood Grammar and Common School, 1852-1860
97: July 19, 1951 Early teachers in Asphodel Schools to 1861, Cameron's School
98: July 26, 1951 Early teachers in Asphodel Schools from 1854-1861 No. 3 Asphodel, Humphries and Fife's School
99: Aug 2, 1951 300 Orangemen Attended Church Service and Banquet in Hastings in 1858
100: Aug 9, 1951 House had names long ago to Identify Their Owners
101: Aug 16, 1951 Houses and names continued
102: Aug 23, 1951 Examination for Teachers' Certificates
103: Aug 30, 1951 Caron Greeley was one of the early surveyors of Percy Township
104: Sept 6, 1951 Shearers Cemetery was also named Hastings Necropolis, City of the Dead
105: Oct 4, 1951 Fowlds Steamboat, Forest City, Launched at Hastings Sept 11, 1858
106: Oct 18, 1951 Fowlds Steamboat, Forest City, Launched at Hastings Sept 11, 1858

Folder 4. Items 107-137

107: Jan 3, 1952 Our Voyage of Discovery First Stop - 1952
108: Feb 14, 1952 First Death in Asphodel Township caused by Ague or River Fever
109: Feb 21, 1952 First Frame Barn on Humphries Farm raised by Jacob Bull of Percy
110: Feb 28, 1952 Opening of New Bridge at Hastings celebrated by Dinner, Nov 4, 1858
111: Mar 6, 1952 New Gravel Road from Colborne to Norwood crossed Trent River on New Bridge
112: Mar 13, 1952 The Keelers and Grovers in Colborne had to work fast to get traffic for new road
113: Mar 27, 1952 Joseph Keelers brought first settlers to Percy Twp before Sept 1, 1797
114: Apr 3, 1952 The Globe, Toronto, Oct 21, 1893
115: Apr 17, 1952 The Globe, Toronto, Oct 21, 1893, continued
116: May 8, 1952 Cobourg Road School Section should adopt Agnes Taylor, U.E. Loyalist as their own heroine
117: May 22, 1952 Other Loyalists Received Lands in Percy Township in 1797
118: May 29, 1952 James Pickens and Family came from County Fermanagh to Percy Township in 1842
119: June 5, 1952 Religious faith and work laid firm foundations for Hastings Village
120: June 12, 1952 John M. Wilson, early superintendent of Hastings Presbyterian Sunday School
121: June 19, 1952 Early Presbyterians in the Townships of Asphodel and Percy
121A: June 26, 1952 Early Presbyterians in the Townships of Asphodel and Percy Continued
122: July 3, 1952 Pioneer Grist Mills, Millers, Wheelrights, and Mill Wrights
123: July 10, 1952 Short History of Early Grist Mills in Central Canada, First in 1782
124: July 17, 1952 Mills and Millers at Westwood and Hastings 1846-1856
125: July 24, 1952 William Lobb and Enoch Tate First Millers in Hastings
126: July 31, 1952 Enoch Tate helped William Lobb Mill first flour at Hastings
127: Aug 21, 1952 Archeological Discoveries at Rice Lake Reveal Civilization 2000 years old
128: Aug 28, 1952 Early Inhabitants of Rice Lake were a mingling of Mound Builders and Indians
129: Sept 4, 1952 Personnel of Royal Museum Party attracted as much interest as Mounds
130: Sept 11, 1952 Archaeology has been Mary MacPhersons Hobby since High School Days
131: Sept 18, 1952 More about Museum Party Personnel and their friends at Rice Lake
132: Sept 25, 1952 Henry Fowlds Bought Property at Crooks' Rapids 101 years ago Sept 27
133: Oct 16, 1952 Hastings Grist Mill ground 25,000 bushels of wheat in 1858
134: Oct 23, 1952 Dr. John Armour got his first skeleton from Indian Mounds along Trent in 1880-1882
135: Nov 13, 1952 Henry M Fowlds built first grain elevator in Hastings in 1880-1882
136: Nov 20, 1952 Robert Crowie and Francis Perchard operated Grist Mill, Between 1855- 1874
137: Dec 4, 1952 John and Jonathan Blacklock helped to make Hastings grow 1863-1880

Folder 5. Items 138-156

138: Jan 20, 1955 More Early Anglicans in Hastings District - The Beamishes
139: Jan 27, 1955 Still more early Anglicans in Hastings District
140: Feb 3, 1955 Dec 29, 1854 saw first passenger train arrive over Cobourg- Peterborough railway
141: Feb 10, 1955 Hastings people went by boat to meet "The Cars" at Harwood in 1858
142: Mar 3, 1955 Hastings (Historic Building Destroyed by Vandals)
143: Mar 24, 1955 English, Irish and Scotch Browns in Alnwick Township Part II
144: Mar 31, 1955 Two James Browns dies in Percy Township in 1895 not related
145: Apr 7, 1955 Thomas Robertson of Norwood and Matthew Laming of Asphodel were weavers in 1850
146: Apr 21, 1955 The family of Beamish was originally English
147: Apr 28, 1955 The Rev David M McAleese Presbyterian Minister to Norwood in 1853
148: May 5, 1955 Rev Robert McDowall, Pioneer Missionary to Presbyterians 1787- 1841
149: June 2, 1955 Some Early United Empire Loyalists
150: July 21, 1955 Ed. Scriver publishes Saskatchewan Golden Jubilee Edition of the Wolsely News
151: July 28, 1955 Crooks' Rapids was first parish of Father Higgins
152: Sept 1, 1955 The forgotten minister of Dummer and Otonabee, Rev Archibald Colquhoun
153: Sept 10, 1955 Early Ministers in Hastings and District
154: Sept 15, 1955 Early Ministers in Hastings and District - Rev Alexander R Campbell Ten Years in Hastings
155: Feb 16, 1956 George Douglas of Hastings was once factor to Earl of Loudoun
156: Mar 1, 1956 Early Methodist Missionary at Rice Lake. Invented system of writing Cree Language

Folder 6. Items 157-172

157: English, Irish and Scotch Browns in Alnwick Township part I
158: Topics of Conversation in Hastings Long Ago
159: Hastings in 1893
160: Hastings (Christmas long ago was more or less a home made affair)
161: Hastings' Views in the Globe of Oct 21, 1893
162: There's No Place Like Home - Our Home - Hastings-on- Trent
163: The French Village
164: Hastings Churches Stand Side by Side
165: Early Anglican Families in the Hastings District
166: Some Early United Empire Loyalists-The Hicks
167: Early Settlers in Hastings District
168: Agnes Taylor's Two Sons were Spies for the British in Revolution in 1775
169: The Sullivans
170: Picnics from Cobourg to Hastings in Golden Eye
171: John Blacklock
172: Aaron Greeley was one of the early surveyors of Percy Township

Marryat's articles in the Peterborough Examiner

Folder 7. Items 173-187

173: Sept 14, 1946 Crown reserved white pine in all early land grants
174: Sept 21, 1946 Many grantees of lands were owners only in name
175: Jan 11, 1947 Hon James Crooks first owner on land part of which is village of Hastings
176: Jan 18, 1947 James Crooks taken prisoner in War of 1812 when Americans invaded Niagara
177: Feb 1, 1947 400 Militia and 300 Regulars captured 900 at Battle of Queenston Heights
178: Feb 15, 1947 Pioneers claimed bushel of buckwheat only grist turned out by Crook's Mill
179: Mar 29, 1947 There was no counting bear and deer and the creaks were full of salmon
180: April 12, 1947 Pioneer cooks often had to prepare large meals under trying conditions
181: May 17, 1947 Kingston preferred to muddy York by some early Peterborough pioneers
182: May 31, 1947 Col Foster played prominent part in organizing Upper Canada's militia
183: June 7, 1947 Communication with the front difficult for pioneers of Peterborough district
184: June 14, 1947 Early Traveller reported seals in lake with pineapples growing along shore
185: June 21, 1947 Descendants of the famous Chrysler Farm are now residents of Hastings village
186: Sept 20, 1947 Rough Field stones used to build many of the chimneys in pioneer homes
187: Oct 11, 1947 Early settlers to Percy Township were largely of Irish descent

Folder 8. Items 188-202

188: Jan 3, 1948 Chloroform first used in Peterborough in year 1860 by Dr George Burnham
189: Jan 10, 1948 Wm Hare, a U.E. Loyalist, given land in Percy in 1804
190: Jan 24, 1948 Peninsular war veteran first teacher in Humphries' School in Asphodel
191: Jan 31, 1948 Richard Hudson 1st teacher in Asphodel
192: Feb 14, 1948 Asphodel militia mustered in 1838 one month after Rebellion flared
193: Apr 3, 1948 How to behave on railroads formed book of Etiquette
194: May 22, 1948 Thomas Ward first owner present site of Bridgenorth
195: June 5, 1948 Naming of Peterborough always caused controversy
196: Aug 7, 1948 First grants in Seymour made in 1793 but surveying area started in 1819
197: Aug 28, 1948 Waited 50 years for visit of Noblemen Reeves to Lord Dufferin
198: Dec 4, 1948 Author of well known poem, written when 13 years old, settled in Hastings
199: Dec 31, 1948 Rebel in 1837, Dr John Gilchrist became member of Parliament four years later
200: Jan 22, 1949 Hastings in middle sixties thriving industrial centre
201: Dec 17, 1949 Old Hunter St Bridges and the new called forth 19th Century Versifiers Pen
202: Apr 8, 1950 Peterborough's first mayor killed in 1857 train wreck

Folder 9. Items 203-215

203: July 7, 1951 Pioneer lumberman founded 2 villages
204: July 14, 1951 Clearing lands of Asphodel township
205: July 21, 1951 Floating rafts of timber of Quebec by way of the Trent and Lake Ontario
206: Aug 11, 1951 Joseph Keeler granted whole Alnwick Township for early colonization experiment before 1800
207: Jan 5, 1952 Sir Richard Bonnycastle visiting son leapt for life across churning stream
208: Jan 12, 1952 Hastings bogus Dr Cyr "I am studying Medison" a boast from Denver 1866
209: Mar 29, 1952 Last Presbyterian Precentor in Hastings who set pitch with tuning fork; organ installation met with opposition
210: April 5, 1952 Mr. Pickens, 80, spent 30 on medicine but many Hastings doctors were busy
211: April 19, 1952 Hastings never recovered from the fire which swept mains street April 1907 all but two razed sites are still ruins
212: Mar 5, 1955 Horseracing on icy lakes favourite district sport in last century: chilly
213: undated First year of Uk immigrant to this district in 1855. Catherine Parr Traill and "The Lost Child". Early landowners in Percy Township
214: undated Early landowners in Percy Township (Perhaps Part I of art. 173)
215: undated Catherine Parr Traill and "The Lost Child"

Marryat's articles in the Port Hope Evening Guide

Folder 10. Items 216-220

216: June 19, 1954 William Birdseye Peters was invited to share lands being granted in 1792; William Jarvis give fourth of Hope
217: June 26, 1954 Elias Smith, J. Walton and Abraham Walton brought 187 settlers to district in 1797
218: July 3, 1954 Emigrants were screened in 1797 when Port Hope was Smith's Creak by name and half way to mouth of River Trent
219: July 10, 1954 Highway contract disputes recall first adventure into field of public endeavour when Upper Canada had problems too
220: July 19, 1954 Apple Tree under which was composed renowned book "Roughing it in the Bush" was cut down in Hamilton Township in 1908

Clipped articles, from local newspapers

Folder 11. Items 1-20

1: Some Stories of Pioneer Life as Related by Late Wm Foley
2: Doomed Cavan Mill Built by Adam Scott, Peterborough Pioneer
3: First Brick House in Peterborough
4: Jubilation, Life in Dummer in 1855 When Sebastopol Fell; Crimean War Recalled, Peterborough Examiner, (R.F. Choate)
5: Birth of Ontario's Counties (F. Williams)
6: Peterborough Churches in Review, Peterborough Examiner, 3 articles
7: How Kawartha Lakes and Rivers Looked in 1831 Before there Were Dams, Locks
8: Church Marks 126th Anniversary (St Paul's Anglican, Lindsay) Peterborough Examiner
9: Dummer's Name and People Spread Out in History, Peterborough Examiner, (R.F. Choate)
10: Sons of Otonabee Pioneers Broke Land in Harvey, Lie inSandy Lake Cemetery, (H. Theobald)
11: From Strachan to Sweatman and Dummer Ghosts Churches, St. Mark's, Warsaw, Endures (R.F. Choate)
12: Our Street Names Tell Own Stores (Mary Craw)
13: Sentiment in Old Post Office (R.F. Choate)
14: Manager's Desk Remains of What Was Once Thriving LocalIndustry (H. Theobald)
15: First Train to Peterborough One Century Ago; Ill-FatedCoburg Line (L. Petticrew)
16: Named Postmaster of Otonabee in 1820 (C.H. Ireson)
17: Lakefield's First Anglican Clergymen Buried Near StoneChurch Built in 1853 (P. McGillen)
18: Old Historical Society Operated Museum (C.H. Ireson)
19: Land in Townplot Valued at $1.00 an Acre in Early Days of Peterborough's Settling (G. Hancock)
20: Peter Robinson Overcame Difficulties Officials Would Now Deem Impossible, (E.S. Clarry)

Folder 12. Items 21-36

21: Oct 27, 1902 Early Settlement (Reminiscences by Robert Harrison, one of Asphodel's earliest settlers), Peterborough Evening Review
22: July 6, 1946 Douro Parish Prepares to Mark its Centennial, Peterborough Examiner (H. Theobald)
23: Jan, 1947 Cavan Congregation Formed by First Pioneers in 1800, PeterboroughExaminer (M. Argue)
24: April 19, 1947 Thirty-five Yards of Cotton Sold for $1.00 Fifty-six Years ago in Peterborough, Peterborough Examiner (H. Theobald)
25: May 31, 1947 How Townships in County Received Their Names, Peterborough Examiner (C.G. Nickels)
26: June 7, 1947 Grist Mill on Indian River Was First Building of Warsaw in Pioneer Days, Peterborough Examiner (Nick Nickels)
27: June 14, 1947 Hardy Pioneers of Smith Township First Settlers in Peterborough District (P. McGillen)
28: Aug 23, 1947 Pollywog Pond is All That Remains of Old Raceway Which Supplied Water Power to First Industries, Peterborough Examiner, (W.M. Clipstone)
29: Sept 20, 1947 Peterborough Down Through the Years, As If Told By the Otonabee River (G. Hancock)
30: Nov 1, 1947 Old Cobourg to Peterborough Railway Built in 1853 At Cost of $1,100,112 (E.S. Clarry)
31: Jan 31, 1948 William Davis of Bethany, 93 years Old, Grandfather Came to Cavan in 1818, Peterborough Examiner, (Mrs. R Carr)
32: Sept 4, 1948 Built in 1832, Only Two Walls Remain of Kelly's Tavern on Highway No. 7 (J. English)
33: Oct 2, 1948 Conservative Opposition of Navel Bill Summed Up in `The Jagship of the Trent' Peterborough Examiner, (R. Greenhill)
34: Jan, 1949 Peterborough's Population 2,000 in 1850, Largely Tradesmen and Businessmen (H. Theobald)
35: Mar 5, 1949 O Tempora, O Mores, O Ashburnham, Peterborough, Examiner
36: Sept 30, 1949 Voluntary Labour and Gifts Built Church 50 Years Ago, Peterborough Examiner (re Bethany)

Folder 13. Items 37-65

37: Mar 3, 1951 Lakefield in 1875 (a sketch), Peterborough Examiner
38: June 23, 1951 The Fourth Line Band of Smith Township, Peterborough Examiner
39: Feb 23, 1952 F. Kingam Tells of Hunter St. Long Ago, Peterborough Examiner
40: Mar 15, 1952 One Earle a Financier, Another Lost Millions of Dollars, Peterborough Examiner, (R.F. Choate)
41: Mar 22, 1952 P.C.I. Master Earle Walked With A Browning and Bested Sir George Ross, Peterborough Examiner, (R.F. Choate)
42: Apr 26, 1952 Bridges of Peterborough: River Spanned Since 1827, Latest at London Street, 1940, PeterboroughExaminer (J. English)
43: July 21, 1951 MOH Lived in Trent With Smallpox Patient, Decade Before Isolation Hospital Built, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
44: Aug 4, 1951 Pioneer Days in Manvers, Peterborough Examiner
45: June 25, 1952 Peterborough's Second Town Hall, Peterborough Examiner
46: July 26, 1952 Two of Canada's Race of Giants Felled by Their Own Deeds of Strength, Century Ago, Queen Victoria Amazed, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
47: Sept 13, 1952 $100,000 Paid to Widows and Orphans in 60 years by Almira Foley Trust, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
48: Dec 27, 1952 Tempus Fugit in Peterborough, Peterborough Examiner
49: Jan 24, 1953 Opening of Lift Lock, 1904 Peterborough Examiner
50: Dec 26, 1953 Peterborough Rugby Football Team, 1899
51: Mar 4, 1954 Col. E. Birdsall Tells History of North Shore, Peterborough Examiner
52: June 12, 1954 Child's Cup was Spire Cap on Church in Warsaw now Celebrating Centenary, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
53: June 19, 1954 St. Mark's Church, Warsaw, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
54: Aug 5, 1954 Peripatetic Telescope May See Service in Schools, Peterborough Examiner (H. Theobald)
55: Aug 7, 1954 Old Stony Lake Days, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
56: Sept 11, 1954 Notable Editor Came From Dummer, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
57: Dec 16, 1954 Have Old (Lakefield) Church Designated as Historic Site, Peterborough Examiner
58: Dec 18, 1954 Twelve Loaded Rail Cars Make First Trip From Cobourg, But One Man Walked, Peterborough Examiner (L. Petticrew)
59: Jan 8, 1955 Doomed Railway Gave Out; So Did Money, Peterborough Examiner (L. Petticrew)
60: Jan 28, 1956 Dummer's Romantic Link with Wales and Upper Canada's Governor Powell, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
61: Mar 17, 1958 Surviving Flames, Walls of Home- made Brick Mark Site of Famed "Maguire's Castle" in Cavan, Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
62: Aug 27, 1955 City's First Mayor Had a Good Life And a Violent End, Peterborough Examiner
63: Dec 23, 1960 Adam Scott Not First Area Settler, Peterborough Examiner
64: Jan 9, 1961 City Had Two "Gardens" in 1861, Peterborough Examiner (H. Theobald)
65: Aug 5, 1961 First Boat to Use Liftlock, Peterborough Examiner

Folder 14. Items1-34 (clippings from regional newspapers, of Trent Valley topics)

1: Uninhibited Anne Chased Hon J.B. Robinson in Scandal of the Times, Peterborough Examiner (R. Choate)
2: Westwood Anglicans Observe Church's Diamond Jubilee, Peterborough Examiner
3: Remittance Men Lived in Gore's Landing Hotels, Taverns: Historical Society Views Village Antiques, Peterborough Examiner
4: Joseph A. Keeler Operated First Saw Mill in Norwood
5: The Montreal House
6: Brief Lifetime of Rice Lake Railway Link Story of Fading Hopes, Financial Failure, Peterborough Examiner
7: Henry Johnston Generous Giver to St George's
8: Remoteness from Market Big Hindrance to Pioneers
9: Gore's Landing Early Home of Three Great Canadians (L.J. Delaney)
10: Jonathan Sprig Original of the Sprig Settlement, Peterborough Examiner (W.J. Cottrell)
11: Westwood Branch Women's Institute: Historical Research
12: Hastings Presbyterian Church to Observe 93rd Anniversary, (1961)
13: Peterborough County Schools
14: Reorganize Committee to Publicize Fife Memorial
15: Henry Humphries in His 95th Year Last of Pioneers dateditem
16: June, 1875 Hastings: The Steamer, "Isaac Butts"
17: July 19, 1904 Anniversary of Rev D.A. Thomson Celebrated in Hastings
18: July 2, 1931 100 Years of Presbyterianism Is Celebrated in Hastings,Peterborough Examiner
19: Nov 14, 1932 Presbyterianism First Known in Hastings in the Year 1852, Peterborough Examiner
20: 1935 Hastings: Thriving Town of 900 People in Year 1871
21: June 28, 1935 The Peterborough Examiner's Hastings Special
22: Sept 27, 1940 Pioneer Days in Percy Township, Peterborough Examiner
23: July 12, 1947 Irish Boy Who Settled in Cavan in 1819 Founder of McGill Settlement in Belmont Peterborough Examiner, (W.M. Platt)
24: Feb 9, 1949 Norwood Took First Name from Col Keeler, Peterborough Examiner
25: July 9, 1949 Norwood Inspector's Report Tells of Schools in 1856
26: Feb 23, 1952 Before 1842, The Norwood House of Peter Pearce, Esq, Was Open to All Peterborough Examiner (R.F. Choate)
27: Oct 22, 1960 Hastings: Leather and Lumber bite Plagued by Fire, Peterborough Examiner (A. Westdorp) [missing as of March 29, 1994]
28: April 5, 1962 Peterborough County Schools, Hastings Press
29: Sept 19, 1963 Trinity United Church 100th Anniversary, Peterborough Examiner
30: June 3, 1964 Earliest Record of United Counties: Lord Dorchester's Proclamation
31: Dec 3, 1964 James Foley, Hastings Press
32: Dec 10, 1964 Almira Grover Foley, Hastings Press
33: Dec 17, 1964 Peregrine Maitland Grover, Hastings Press
34: Jan 21, 1965 John Almus Butterfield, Hastings Press, (R.A. Dean)

Folder 15. Mrs. Marryat's extracts from the Peterborough Gazette and Review, and the Birdsall Scrapbook

Box 6

Miscellaneous historical material and Marryat's Index

Folder 1. miscellaneous historical material and Mrs. Marryat's Index

Note: Items 1 and 2 have been removed to 89-1063 (Farrar fonds)
1: Picture: nr. Hastings by M.A. Farrar
2: Picture: Ashfield House
3: Poem: by a friend of Mrs. Marryat
4: Ontario Historical Society: Howard Pammett's article (autographed) "The Steamboat Era on the Trent-Otonabee Waterway 1830-1950."
5: Summer Catalogue 1882: Evans Standard Sheet Music
6: Prize List - Roblins Mills Fair 1931
7: Toronto Normal School - 1847-1947
8: Preliminary Report of Excavation of the Rice Lake Serpent Mounds Group 1956
9: letters from Frederick Neal to Elgin Historical and Scientific Society: Feb 20, 1911; June 2, 1911
10: Ontario Historical Society: Annual Meeting - 1947 - agenda
11: Ontario Historical Society - News Letter - July 1947
12: Western Ontario Historical Notes December 1950
13: short notice on Battle of Chrysler's Farm
14: short article on U.E. Loyalists and Old Country settlers
15: general notes by Mrs. Marryat
16: shipping notice - Sept 12, 1894
17-20: general notes - dates of construction, etc.
21-22: comments by Mrs. Marryat on local historical societies and research
23: article by Morley Callaghan
24: Dec 2, 1958 on the New York Albion
25: memo sheet
26: Christmas card from Helen to Dora (?)
27: history of the Forest City steamer
28: history of the Otonabee
29: history of the Forester
30: sheet of miscellaneous notes
31: Jan 21, 1886, the village choir. A poem copied from the Hastings Observer
32: history of the Meikles - notes by Mrs. Marryat on the family of Henry Fowlds, Sr., and wife
33: sheet of miscellaneous notes
34: history of Robert Plunkett
35: sheet of miscellaneous notes
36: single page on Henry Fowlds
37: general history of Asphodel Twp.
38: notebook: research notes

Regarding Folders 2-4: Mrs. Marryat's Index is a life-long compilation by a local historian and statistician of the settlers and inhabitants of Hastings, Ontario through its origins as Crooks' Rapids, and its incorporation as a town in 1874. It is basically an alphabetical enumeration, and between the sheets of the Index proper she has inserted notes which she has made on some of those included on the lists: these are really nothing more that tabulations ofdates. The Index is, as one might expect, the documentation for her articles (69-001 Box 5), and her summaries (69-001 Box 7).

Folder 2. miscellaneous articles, copies of sketches relative to Kawartha local history, rough notes, drafts, research notes relating to Mrs. Marryat's newspapers articles -transcripts of newspaper events (1903 - poor year for Maple Syrup)

Folder 3. books read copies of obituarie notes for articles miscellaneous notes diary of happenings in hastings historical notes:
i) Hastings ii) Indians iii) Settlers-additional information inserted between the index of dates, and the index of accidents and deaths in Hastings

Folder 4: More extensive historical detail
1: Anne Langton
2: Asa Burnham
3: John Sharpe
4: Elsie Pomeroy
5: Robert Sudspect
6: list of original settlers - with dates
7-9: colonel Collevy Lyons Lucas Foster- biography
10: Co. Northumberland - Directory - 1870-71
11-12: Roger Balim
13: William Barry
14-15: James Rogers and family (genealogy)
16: Questionnaire - 1922 - of Synod of Toronto and Kingston

Box  7

Cobourg and Hastings - history items 1-127

Folder 1.

1: 1864-1871 Canadian Presbyterian
2-5: 1818-1837 settlers in Cobourg

Folder 2.

6-15: early settlers (excl. Crooks)
16-19: Crooks family
20-27: James Crooks
28: local history
29-32: foundations grant of Hastings
33: Canada Company
34-37: Public Works
38: Ancaster parish records

Folder 3.

39-45: early histories
46: Riel Rebellion
47-48: legislation re: Hastings
49-50: 1858 - history
51: 1869 - history
52: 1874 - history
53: 1880-1884 - history
54: 1898 - history
55-61: misc.

Folder 4.

62-63: settlers
64: settlers note: Riel Rebellion
65-90: settlers
91: settlers note: M.L.A.
92-96: settlers

Folder 5

97-105: obituaries
106-113: population lists
114-122: news sheets
123: 1866 - Hastings Infantry Co.
124: 1869 - Militia Roll
125: 1914-1918 - Roll of Honour
126-127: rifle league (original and copy) shoot-out 1893

Hastings and area churches items 1-63

Folder 6.

1-2: public utilities
3-10: floods (Ashburnham bridge)
11-16: fires (fire department)
17-19: history of old buildings
20-22: Colborne Transcript

Folder 7.

23-25: history of public schools in Hastings
26-27: Hastings schools - teachers
28: school grants

Folder 8.

29: paper industry in Hastings
30-43: cotton/woollen industry in Hastings

Folder 9

1: Episodes of a Pastoral Life (Rev Thompson)
2-17: Financial Statements - Hastings (St Andrews) Presbyterian Church: 1892, 1897, 1942-1945, 1950, 1952-1955, 1957-1960, 1963
18-28: Annual Report - St Andrews: 1920, 1930-1936, 1939- 1941
29: Centenary - St Paul's Presbyterian, Campbellford
30: Centenary - St. Andrew's Presbyterian, Peterborough
31: Centenary - St Andrew's Presbyterian, Hastings

Folder 10.

32: Presbyterians in Asphodel/Percy Twps
33-43: History of Presbyterians in Hastings
44-50: Ministers - Hastings Presbyterian Church

Folder 11.

51: Methodists in Hastings

Folder 12

52: Hiawatha United Church
53: Trinity United Church - financial report - 1930
54: History of Trinity United Church
55-56: Centenary of Christ Church Anglican, Campbellford
57-58: History of Anglicans in Hastings
59-60: Episcopalian register of baptism - Hastings
61-63: History of Churches in Hastings

Box  8

Photos of Hastings - people - 4 Folders

Box 9

Photos of Hastings - places, and of the construction of the canal; negatives file; maps

Box 10

Port Hope and Westwood

Folder 1.

1-5: historical sketches of Port Hope

Folder 2.

6-7: history of Westwood
8: Westwood - commercial history
9-13: historical sketches, biographies, Westwood settlers
14-18: Westwood school; Twp. (Asphodel) education

Asphodel Township

Folder 3

1: Methodists 1895-1942
2-3: early history
4: reeves 1850-1954
5: agricultural developments
6-7: public works by-laws (1853, 1855)
8: marriage license 1854
9-20: school teachers 1853-1861 [#17 missing as of March 29, 1994]
21-32: school development
33: annual education report

Folder 4.

34-36: linen and papers survey maps
37-45: population census

Folder 5.

46-55: settlers - historical sketches

Folder 6.

56-58: Robinson immigration
59-62: muster roll - Asphodel Twp 1838
63: rebellion of 1837-1838 - Asphodel Twp - militia

Alnwick

Folder 7.

1-2: historical sketch of the township
3-5: settlers, twp plan

Dummer

Folder 8.

6-7: school teachers 1851-1861

Otonabee

Folder 9.

8: Hastings Star - obituary
9-10: education in Otonabee Township
11-12: Robinson immigration - Otonabee Township

Percy

Folder 10.

13-15: early history
16-20: family genealogy
21: U.E.L. families
22-24: militia
25: education

Folder 11.

26-43: early settlers

Folder 12.

44-69: early settlers

The Bethune Family - biographies and correspondence

Folder 13.

1-3: James Bethune 1793-1841: biographies
4-6: Rev Alexander Neil Bethune
7: Bethune family and Robert Henry Esq

Richard Birdsall - biography and correspondence

Folder 14

8-11: Richard Birdsall 1799-1852; biographies
12: extracts from diary of R.B.
13-14: subscribers to Brock Monument
15: Muster Roll of Captain Birdsall, 4th regiment Northern Militia, Jan 4, 1838
16: Deposition by Henry Fowlds to R. Birdsall, Justice of the Peace, concerning one Greg. Tenack, Jan 14, 1848
17: note concerning Birdsall's death
18: Collins Map - 1790
19: Percy Township - survey map
20: surveying notes of July 1838, November 1851
correspondence
21: n.d. Board of Public Works, Toronto to Birdsall re. Rice Lake Dam
22: Sept 30, 1857 Henry Fowlds, re: Rice Lake Dam
23: copy (typewritten) of item 22
24: July 6, 1849 Jas Crooks, from Percy Mills, re: his mill at Crooks' Rapids
25: June 26, 1850 Board of Works, Toronto, re: Crooks' claim on damages to his Mill (with Birdsall's reply)
26: Aug 26, 1850 `N.S. Canyon' to Birdsall from Peterborough re: James Gallan's lands at Keene
27: Sept 25, 1850 G.N. Rannie from Asphodel Twp. re: damages to Lots 1 and 2, 1st concession of Asphodel
28: Sept 25, 1850 G.N. Rannie from Crooks' Rapids re: damages to lot at Delauys
29: Oct 21, 1850 Bd of Public Works Toronto re: Birdsall's evidence presented for damages
30: Sept 29, 1851 Jas Crooks to Birdsall re: deed of Crooks' Mills
letters sent
31: May 18, 1840 re: Rice Lake Dam water overflow
32: Feb 23, 1849 to Bd of Public Works re lots 1 and 2, 2nd concession Asphodel
33: Oct 6, 1850 to Francis Hall, Clerk for the Board of Arbitration See items 27 and 28

Mary Blacklock - biography and correspondence

Folder 15.

34-35: biographical notes - obituary
36: citizenship of John Blacklock: Jan 8, 1862
correspondence: (i) Mrs. Helen Marryat to Miss Blacklock re: local history
37: Feb 3, 1943 early Hastings
38: Feb 18, 1943 Fenian Raids, Anglican church
39: Apr 16, 1944 re: local historical studies
40: Dec 10, 1944 in addition to item 25 re: old Cotton Mill at Hastings
41: Mar 16, 1945 addition to items 25 and 26
42: Mar 26, 1945 part II of letter from Mar 16, 1945 (item 41) re: families in Hastings
43: Mar 27, 1945 part III of same letter
44: Mar 30, 1945 coffee talk
45: June 10, 1945 families in Hastings
46: July 1, 1945 concerns Mrs Marryat's possession of Hastings Star and some of her findings in it
47: Oct 14, 1945 re: Clarendon Hotel fire (in Hastings)
48: Feb 17, 1946 coffee talk
49: Feb 7, 1947 re: her article on James Crooks and an interview of Miss Blacklock in the Globe and Mail (Toronto)
50: Oct 24, 1947 general funeral notices re: Hastings
51: Aug 31, 1948 re: a/c in Peterborough Examiner of visit of Lord Dufferin to Hastings in 1874
52: Dec 26, 1948 re: her early history of Hastings written for Hastings Press
53: Dec 29, 1948 re: article on Miss Blacklock by Mrs Marryat in the Peterborough Examiner
correspondence: (ii) Miss Blacklock to Mrs Marryat on local history
54: Jan 22, 1943 re: Mrs Marryat's proposed history of Hastings: recollections of her early life
55: Feb 23, 1943 more of the same
56: Apr 22, 1944 re: her garden and local affairs
57: Dec 12, 1944 her recollections of Hastings and its inhabitants
58: Mar 11, 1945 re: photo she has found and more recollections
59: Mar 12, 1945 postscript to Mar 11, 1945
60: Mar 12, 1945 letter begun 23 Feb, 1943 and typed (probably by Mrs Marryat)
61-63: miscellaneous letters
64-65: two letters concerning father: one an a/c of her father (May 11, 1871); and the other an indenture of her father's (Dec 2, 1872)

Box 11

Henry Lye, Hastings, the Sutherland family, Cobourg

Folder 1.

1-3: receipts Dec 17, 1861
4: notice of article by Lye (in Hastings Star)
5-8: reminiscences (1834-1926) edited by Mrs. Marryat
9: curious bees (zoological analysis of bees)
10: clearing bees
11: raising bees
12: Mar 6, 1884 Henry Lye to Maggie Fowlds re: death of her father James Steele; and the Fowlds business matters

Folder 2.

13: autograph book of Maggie Fowlds

Folder 3.

14-15: family genealogy
16: Assurance policy of John Sutherland
17: testament of Margaret Sutherland
18: obituary of Margaret Sutherland
19: obituary of Edna Sutherland
20: obituary of Harriet Sutherland (Mrs. Hunter Corbett)
21: obituary of Jack Corbett (Harriet's son), and corresponding letter from Harriet to Isabella Nov 9, 1935 send from Chefoo
22: obituary of Mrs. Leroy E. Heimburger (Harriet's daughter)
23-29: school reports 30: misc.

Sutherland family: correspondence

Folder 4.

(a) John Sutherland
31: Aug 14, 1862 from Cobourg to Margaret Sutherland (neeLauder) re: family matters
32: Dec 22, 1888 from Cobourg, to F.W. Fowlds re: damage claims settlement
33: July 30, 1889 from Cobourg, to Elizabeth (Mrs. F.W. Fowlds) re: family matters
(b) Margaret Sutherland (nee Lauder)
34: July 10, 1874 from Cobourg, to her mother re: family matters
35: Sept 10, 1879 from Hastings, to her mother re: family matters
(c) Harriet Corbett (nee Sutherland)
36: Nov 13, 1898 from Chefoo to Margaret Sutherland, re: matters in China
37: Jan 22, 1900 from Chefoo, to Margaret re: matters in China
38: Jan 22, 1900 envelope for item 37 to Margaret Sutherland
(d) "F.B."
39: Aug 4, 1907 Stamped postcard to Ann Sutherland from Toronto to Hartford, Connecticut (date Aug 4, 1907 on cancellation stamp)
(e) (Anne) Lauder Sutherland
40: Sept 28, 1910 from Hartford Hospital Training School for Nurses, to Lizzie (Elizabeth Sutherland) Fowlds, re: family matters
41: Nov 12, 1910 from Hartford, to Lizzie, re: family matters
42: Nov 20, 1910 from Hartford, to Fred(erick) Fowlds re: family matters mentioned in letter to Lizzie Nov 12
43: Nov 22, 1920 from Hartford, to Lizzie re: family matters
44: Nov 28, 1910 from Hartford to Lizzie, re: a letter Lauder had received from a Miss Scott
45-47: undated letters from Hartford to Lizzie, re: family matters
48: undated letter from Butterworth Hospital, Grand Rapids, Michigan, to Lizzie re: her furniture purchases and nursing school experiences

Maps

Hastings. Lot numbering for the town, 200 feet: 1 inch, 80cm x 86cm, 1944, original, cloth, laminated, publisher: Gerald Marryat. (Map A). Map Cabinet - Drawer 1.

Street layout for the Town of Hastings, 200 feet: 1 inch, 79cm x 76cm, n.d., original, cloth, laminated, publisher: Gerald Marryat. (Map B). Map Cabinet - Drawer 1.

Sketch of River and Mill Works at Hastings. Lot 4, concession 8, Township of Asphodel, County of Peterborough, 30 feet: 1 inch, 51cm x 111cm, n.d., original, cloth, laminated, publisher: Gerald Marryat. (Map C). Map Cabinet - Drawer 1.

Plan of the Village of Hastings. North side of the Trent river at Hastings, Ontario, 200 feet: 1 inch, 60cm x 72cm, n.d, condition poor, original, cloth, laminated, publisher: Gerald Marryat. (Map D). Map Cabinet - Drawer 1.

Plan of the Village of Hastings. Concessions of Asphodel and Percy Townships, 3 chains: 1 inch, 81cm x 71cm, 1861, original, paper. (Map E). Map Cabinet - Drawer 1.

Plan of the Trent Valley Cemetery. Plan and allocation of plots in Trent Valley Cemetary located between Peterborough and Belleville, 25 feet: 1 inch, 94cm x 76cm, n.d., original, cloth, laminated. (Map F). Map Cabinet - Drawer 1.

West of Hastings, Asphodel. Lot description, 40 feet: 1 inch, 61cm x 203cm, n.d., original, tracing cloth, laminated. (Map G). Map Cabinet - Drawer 1.

Portion of Percy Township (part of map missing), Lot XIII, 12th concession, 61cm x 70cm, n.d., original, paper. (Map H). Map Cabinet - Drawer 1.

Plan of Part of the Village of Hastings on Lot No.4 in the VIII Concession of the Township of Asphodel. Hastings Plan #5 Asphodel. 2 chains: 1 inch, 37cm x 31cm, original, hand-drawn, coated linen, C.F. Caddy, September 1872. Stacks - Box 9 Folder 6.

Plan "The River Block" E 1/2 Lot 5, Concession 8, T.P. Asphodel. The Registered Plan 14 for Asphodel. 3 chains: 1 inch, 45cm x 39cm, original, hand-drawn, coated linen, 1885. Stacks - Box 9 Folder 6.

Plan of Part of the River Trent at the Village of Hastings. 40 feet: 1 inch, 70cm x 90cm, original, hand-drawn, coated linen, n.d. Stacks - Box 9 Folder 6.

Plan of the Lots on the South Side of Front Street and between Bridge and Trent Street, in the Village of Hastings, being also part of the W. 1/2 of Lot 4, Con. VIII, T.P. of Asphodel, 1881. Fred W. Wilkins, Surveyor, Norwood, Ont. 62cm x 46cm, original, coated linen. Stacks - Box 9 Folder 6.

Hastings, November 1861, showing factories, mills. 200 feet: 1 inch, 33cm x 29cm, original, coated linen. Stacks - Box 9 Folder 6.

Plan Lot No. 5 of 9th Concession Asphodel, the property of Richard T. Manuel. 45cm x 58cm, original, hand-drawn, paper. Stacks - Box 10 Folder 4.

Lot No.4, VIII Concession, Asphodel. 22cm x 36cm, original, hand-drawn, paper, condition fragile. Stacks Box 10 Folder 4.

Asphodel Township, about 1860. Compiled by G. Marryat. Approx. 2/3 mile: 1 inch, 38cm x 48cm, original, blueprint. Stacks - Box 10 Folder 4.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation