Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 04-1003

Title

Cobourg, Ontario commemorative ribbons collection. -- [188-] - [193-]. -- ca. 100 ribbons.

Biography / History

Cobourg is located in Hamilton Township, in the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham, on the north shore of Lake Ontario. The area was first settled in 1798 by Elias Nicholson who built his home within the limits of what was to become the town plot. Originally called Amherst, Cobourg has also been known by the names of Hamilton and Hardscrabble. In 1819, the developing town was given the name Cobourg. It was incorporated as a village in 1837 and incorporated as a town in 1850. (taken from "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Ontario." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Ltd., 1972.)

Custodial History

Unknown

Scope and Content

Collection consists of several Cobourg, Ontario commemorative ribbons that celebrate or observe such events as "Hearts of Oak, L.T.B.", Cobourg Old Boys' reunions, the Cobourg Regatta, the Diamond Jubilee, the Civic Tournament, and the Veteran Firemen Semi-Centennial. Numerous other ribbons depict the 207th anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne, world flags, various sports, Canadian provinces, months of the year, Canadian educational institutions, names of countries, etc.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the collection.
This collection was acquired from an unknown source.
Restrictions: N
Some of the ribbons were located inside envelopes with return address: B.K. Van Buren Books, Port Hope, Ontario.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation