Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 04-1002

Title

Haldimand Township property documents collection. -- 1863-1933. -- 1 folder.

BIOGRAPHY / HISTORY

The Township of Haldimand is bounded on the north by the Township of Alnwick, on the east by the Township of Cramahe, on the west by the Township of Hamilton and on the south by Lake Ontario. Haldimand Township was partially surveyed in 1797 and again in 1822. By 1817 it had 6258 acres under cultivation. There were three grist mills and four saw mills. By 1850 the population of the Township was 4177 and by 1861 it was 6164. The villages are Grafton, Eddystone, Centreton, Vernonville, Fenella, Bowmanton, Burnley, Colbourne and Wicklow. The population consisted mostly of settlers from Ireland, Scotland, England and some from the United States. One of the first settlers in the area was Benjamin Ewing, in 1798, from Vermont. The harbour for the Township was located at Grafton and built around 1836. (Taken from: "The H.H. Beldon Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, 1878." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Limited, 1972.)

Custodial History

This collection was in the custody of Marion Grant before it was donated to Trent University Archives in 1983.

Scope and Content

Collection consists of Haldimand Township property documents dated 1863-1891. Subjects include Jay Ketchum, William Matthews, James Thomas Johnson, Archibald Campbell, Donald C. Matthews, William H. Johnson, Joseph Keeler, William Maxwell, David [P--], and Thomas Kelso. Also included are estate documents relating to Mary Jane Cowie, 1932, and miscellaneous receipts.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the collection.
Collection acquired in 1983 from Marion Grant .
Restrictions: N
For related records see: 77-030, 77-033, 84-020, and 84-021.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation