Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 01-011

Title

Bury's Green Women's Institute collection. -- 1904-1996. -- 20 cm of textual records. -- ca. 78 photographs.

Biography / History

Bury's Green Women's Institute of East Victoria District was founded in 1953. A branch member of the larger world-wide Women's Institutes organization, Bury's Green Women's Institute's focus was to strive "for all that is best "For Home and Country"". Activities in the community included raising money by means of card parties, bazaars, making and selling quilts, and entering local fairs. The Women's Institute donated money and food to the County Home, widows in Korea, and shut-ins at Christmas. The local 4-H Club came under the jurisdiction of the Women's Institute and was sponsored by it. The Institute disbanded in 2000. (Taken from the Tweedsmuir History)

Custodial History

This collection was in the custody of Mrs. Grace Barker before it was donated to Trent University Archives in 2001.

Scope and Content

Collection consists of three pamphlets, "Our Own Cookbook" / by the East Victoria Women's Institute, 1905, "Pioneer Gleanings from Verulam, 1867-1967" / by T.H. Martin, and "Bury's Green Branch of the Women's Institute, 1953-1993". Also included are items which were removed from a scrapbook: seven photographs, brochures, and several newspaper clippings relating to Fenelon Falls, Bobcaygeon, Lindsay, and Bury's Green, Ontario, 1961, 1984-1994. The photographs include Women's Institute members such as Nan McGhee, Phyllis Fell, Esther Humphries, Laura Flett, Mrs. Tiers, Clara Flett, and Grace Barker; also included are photos of Sherry L. Telford and Kim Chambers during the Olympic Torch Run, 1988. This collection also consists of a scrapbook entitled "Tweedsmuir History: Bury's Green Branch Women's Institute". Enclosed in it are approximately 70 photographs, a history of Bury's Green branch of the Women's Institute, maps, brochures, correspondence, historical accounts, and memorabilia, n.d. This collection also consists of research material for the Tweedsmuir History; Hand Books for the Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario, 1949, 1971, 1983, and 1987; notebooks containing reports on the Tweedsmuir History, on Historical Research and Cultural Events, and on Education and Cultural Activities, 1953-1987; programs dated 1953-54 through 1993-94; 100th anniversary materials; and correspondence and brochures relating to an award given to a student at Fenelon Falls Secondary School, 1996.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the collection.

The "Cook Book" is fragile and brittle. Please handle with care.

This collection was donated by Mrs. Grace Barker.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

Microfilm copies of the Tweedsmuir History are located in the Archives of Ontario and at the Victoria County Library.

All items from one of the scrapbooks were removed for preservation purposes and have been placed together in a folder. These include photographs, newspaper clippings, and brochures.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation