Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 00-001

Title

Harley R. Cummings fonds. -- 1863-1999. -- .75 m of textual records. -- 65 photographs. -- 13 maps.

Biography / History

Harley Richard Cummings was born in 1909 in Bond Head, Ontario, the son of Dr. James A. and Mildred Cummings. In 1933, after obtaining an Honours BA from the University of Toronto and graduating from the Ontario College of Education, he began teaching at the Boys' Vocational School and the Glashan Intermediate School and York Street School in Ottawa. In 1942, he was a volunteer education officer with the Royal Canadian Air Force and later became a flight lieutenant. At the conclusion of World War II, Cummings returned to Ottawa and, over the next twenty years, was school principal at a number of schools. Of significant importance is Cummings' book, "Early Days in Haliburton", which he wrote in 1962. It includes an introduction by Ontario Premier Leslie Frost. Cummings married Shirley Stotesbury in 1964. He died at the age of 90 on May 10, 1999.

Custodial History

This fonds was in the custody of Mrs. Shirley Cummings before it was donated to Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This fonds consists of primary research material and the manuscript and photographs for Harley R. Cummings' book, "Early Days in Haliburton". The fonds also consists of correspondence, including letters from the Honorable Leslie Frost, photographs, maps, and an original 1863 surveyor's diary for Eyre Township. Also included are the C.R. Stewart diaries, dated 1902-1904. C.R. Stewart (1826-1905) was resident agent for the Canadian Land and Immigration Company and was the first settler in the Village of Haliburton. In his diaries he refers to Colonel Samuel Hughes and Mossom Boyd. Stewart's son, C.E. Stewart (1851-1921) was editor of the "Bobcaygeon Independent". The fonds also includes several historical papers and publications written by Cummings and others.

Notes

Title based on the creator of the fonds.

The farm account book, "Bruton Farm" - "Mens a/c's", dated 1880-1881, is irreparably moldy and must be kept sealed in mylar.

This fonds was donated by Mrs. Shirley Cummings.

Restrictions: N

Finding aids: Y

For related accessions see: 77-023.

Maps located in Map Cabinet - Drawer 11.

Finding Aid

Boxes 1 & 2

Boxes consist of primary research material pertaining to the Canadian Land and Immigration (Emigration) Company, Bronson and Weston, Dysert Council, Village of Haliburton, Mossom Boyd, lumbering, logging, Victoria Railway, the Peterson Road, schools, etc.

Box 3

Included are 15 photographs of the unveiling of the historical plaque to mark the founding of Haliburton (1962), pioneer families, pioneer school rooms, pioneer logging crews, a pioneer street railway construction gang, and the "Queen's Hotel" interior dining area.

Also included are 27 unidentified aerial photographs, a surveyor's diary for Eyre Township (1863), the C.R. Stewart diaries (1902-1904), and a farm account book (1880-1881) entitled "Bruton Farm" - "Mens a/c's". This item is irreparably moldy and must be kept sealed in mylar.

Correspondence dated 1955-1968 includes letters from The Honorable Leslie Frost; letters and minutes from The Miners Bay Lumber Company, and the John Carew Lumber Company Limited regarding timber rights in Monmouth Township; and correspondence regarding cottage sites in Tweed District, etc.

Also included are the proofs, manuscript, and photographs for "Early Days in Haliburton", along with a published copy of the book which has been inscribed by The Honorable Leslie Frost. Other publications by Cummings, namely "The City of Ottawa Public Schools: A Brief History" (1971), "The Ottawa Public School Men Teachers' Club 1918-1968" (1969), "John Harold Putman: Ottawa Educationist" (1969), and "Cummings: A Tale of Two Families" (1986), are also included.

The fonds also includes miscellaneous newspaper clippings and the following papers and publications:

-Aerial Timber Sketching Memoirs/ by H.H. (Holly) Parsons, 1922-1976

-A Short History of Marmora with Pebbles and Twigs from Marble Point/ by W.R. Freeman (photocopy)

-Haliburton Village, 1864-1964/ Rotary Club of Haliburton, 1964

-Memories of Somerville Township: compiled to celebrate Ontario's bicentennial, 1784-1984

-Building By-law No. 67:17 for the United Townships of Dysert…

-Omemee Methodist Church, 1836-1925; Trinity United Church 1925-present: A Historical Sketch/ by C.H. Williamson

-Facts and Legends of Haliburton County/ Business and Commerce and Science, Technology and Trades Students - H.H.S.S., 1971

-More Facts and Legends of Haliburton County/ Business and Commerce and Science, Technology and Trades Students - H.H.S.S., 1972

-County of Perth Gazetteer and General Directory 1863-1864

Also included is biographical material pertaining to Harley R. Cummings, and 13 maps which are located in the Map Cabinet - Drawer 11.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation