Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 91-1018

Title

Peterborough and Northumberland Counties General Map Collection. -- 1830-1897. -- 3 maps.

Biography / History

The land which is now Peterborough County was originally part of Newcastle District before 1841, and the Colbourne District until 1850, the year when districts were replaced by counties in Upper Canada. At this time the United Counties of Peterborough and Victoria were created. In 1861, Victoria County was given independence from Peterborough. Peterbourgh County is made up of the following townships: Galway, Cavendish, Anstruther, Chandos, Harvey, Burleigh, Methuen, Ennismore, Smith, Douro, Dummer, Belmont, North Monaghan, Otonabee, and Asphodel. (taken from "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peterborough County 1825-1875." Peterborough: The Peterborough Historical Atlas Foundation Inc., 1975.) In 1792, the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham were officially created in a proclamation made by Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe. The proclamation divided Upper Canada in 19 Counties for representation purposes. The United Counties were bounded by Lake Ontario in the south, Hasting County in the east, Ontario County in the west and Peterborough and Victoria Counties in the north. The town line between Hope and Hamilton Townships divided the two counties. Northumberland County consists of South Monaghan, Hamilton, Haldimand, Alnwick, Percy, Cramahe, Seymour, Brighton and Murray Townships. (Taken from: "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Ontario." Belleville: Mika Silk Screening Limited, 1972.)

Custodial History

These maps were in the custody of Robert Bowley before they were donated to the Trent University Archives.

Scope and Content

This collection consists of 3 maps: a photocopy of a map portraying a portion of Northumberland County, showing Hope and Emily Townships on the west and Murray and Methuen Townships on the east, 1830s; a photocopy of a map portraying a portion of Peterborough County, showing North Monaghan Township to Belmont Township on the south and Harvey to Methuen Townships on the north, 1897; and an original map of Peterborough County, 1897.

Notes

Title based on contents of fonds.

This fonds was donated by Robert Bowley.

Restrictions: N

Associated matertial located at the National Archives of Canada.

The photocopied maps are located in the Maps Cabinet - Drawer 8. The original map is rolled and located on top of the Maps Cabinet.

Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation