Search the Archives
Fonds Level Description
Coboconk, Ontario: fire insurance plan / Chas. E. Goad Company. -- 1910. -- 2 sheets: 50':01"; 53 x 64 cm.
Biography / History
The Charles E. Goad map making company was established in Montreal, Quebec, in 1875. In its business of creating fire insurance plans, the Charles E. Goad map making company was the most comprehensive company in its coverage of Canada. By 1885, the company was firmly established in Canada and by 1910, Goad and his surveyors had created fire insurance plans for more than 1300 Canadian communities. When Charles E. Goad died that same year, the company was taken over by his three sons, who continued to run the business under the name Chas. E. Goad Company. In 1911 an agreement was reached between the Chas. E. Goad Company and the Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association, by which the Goad Company was to create and revise plans for the Association exclusively. The Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association was founded in 1883 for the purpose of standardizing fire insurance rules. This agreement ended in 1917, and in 1918, the Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association established its own plan making department. It was named the Underwriters' Survey Bureau Limited. At the same time, the Bureau acquired the exclusive rights from the Chas. E. Goad Company to revise and reprint the Goad plans. The Goad Company, which continued to exist until 1930, stopped producing fire insurance plans. In March 1931, the Underwriters' Survey Bureau purchased all of the assets of the Chas. E. Goad Company, including copyright. The Underwriters' Survey Bureau continued to produce fire insurance plans for the cities and towns in Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes. The Canadian Fire Underwriters' Association remained responsible for the production of plans in the western provinces and the B.C. Underwriters' Association was responsible for plans in British Columbia. In 1960, these regional operations were amalgamated with the production of plans under the centralized Plan Division of the Canadian Underwriters' Association. In 1975, the Association changed its name to the Insurer's Advisory Organization, and at the same time, decided to cease fire insurance plan production and sell all plan inventory. This was the end of 100 years of continuous fire insurance plan production in Canada. (Taken from: Hayward, Robert J. "Fire Insurance Plans in the National Map Collection." Ottawa: Public Archives of Canada, 1977.)
The custodial history of the fire insurance plan is unknown prior to ownership by Edward Phelps, Librarian, D.W. Weldon Library, University of Western Ontario.
Scope and Content
This item is a Charles E. Goad fire insurance plan of the village of Coboconk as at July 1910. It includes a key plan (scale 500':01") and a key to symbols.
Title based on the title of the item.
This item was purchased from Edward Phelps.
Restrictions: Y No copying without permission of the University Archivist. No reprinting without the permission of the Underwriter's Association.
For related records see: 76-002 to 76-009, 76-019 to 76-037, 78-010, 82-020 and 82-022.
The Insurers' Advisory Organization (1989) Inc. holds copyright on all fire insurance plans created by Chas. E. Goad, Civil Engineer, and all successor companies.
Located in Map Cabinet - Drawer 3.