Finding Aid:

Search the Archives

Fonds Level Description

Accession Number: 75-1001

Mary Tuer Diary
2 July - 4 September 1914

Mary Tuer Letter
6 September 1914 Transcription



Note: Postcards and descriptions of various European cities visited by Mary Tuer are glued into the diary.

European Tour
From Port Hope, Canada July 2nd 1914

Mary Tuer
Port Hope, Ontario.

European Tour.
July 2nd, 1914.

Port Hope. July 2nd. Our party consisting of Mrs. Brent, Toronto, Miss Marion Bletcher, Miss Holdsworth, Jessie, myself, left here on the 10.49 [ ] for Montreal, accompanied by Fred. Our chairs in the parlor [ ] were occupied by maids parlour & some friends en route for Wellington for a sketching tour. As there were no other chairs available they chatted with us all the way down to Trenton where they changed cars for Wellington. We had a splendid send off. Mr. & Mrs. Mann, Mrs. [ ] - Helen, May Wickett, Norma H[ ], Mr. & Mrs. Bletcher, Hazel & Arthur, Miss [ ], Mrs. Lindsay, Mary & Lillie McFellan, Miss Mulligan, Mrs. Harry Hume, Jessie [Southby] were at the station. Miss Emma Robertson & Judge Ward accompanied us as far as Cobourg. We had dinner on the train & arrived in Montreal about six o'clock. Harriet & Will Stone met us at the train with the motor & we went at once to the house for dinner. After dinner we went for a drive round Westmorial.

Friday morning 3rd. We went down to look over our boat & were delighted with our statesroom. The others have a smaller one & are rather crowded with three in the cabin. In the afternoon after luncheon, Miss Florence Crawford was there. We were driven down town after going over [ ] by daylight & then Will left us to do our shopping. We visited several churches & the Chalias de R[ ]. Then took the street car round the mountain. Fred has gone down town on business & was at the house when we arrived. In the evening we had another drive & went down to see Fred off for Sudbury. Then we went down & met one party at the boat, our luggage was on board & the Stones left us there. We strolled round the boat & had a game of bridge before going to bed. We got post cards from Daisy Edith Smith, Mr. A[ ], letters from Grace Burnham & C[ ]. We got very little sleep & were awake when we sailed at daybreak. Mr. Sawers of Peterboro is on board & we got seats at the table together with a friend of his, Mr. Lister, an organist at Verdun, Montreal (St. Clement's Church). Our deck chairs are placed in a splendid position on the upper deck. About two we arrived in Quebec after a beautiful trip down the river. We engaged a Habitant to drive us round the city & saw all the places of interest including lower town, the churches & the citadel. We went over the Empress of Britain on our return & it is a beautiful ship. After dinner we got letters from Daisy & Henry, another card from Mrs. A[ ], a telegram from Mildred [ ], china men from Mr. Crumpton. We wrote letters all evening & went to bed rather early.

Sunday. July 5th. I was awakened early by the boat stopping & was fortunate to see the Erueka coming over for the pilot who left us at Rimouski. Jessie refused to get out of her [bench] to see him go off. Shortly after this we passed the places where the Empress of Ireland went down. The place was marked by buoys & there were two boats standing by. The divers are still at work. At 7.15 the Stewardess called me for my salt water bath, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Jessie also had one. The service was conducted by the Rev. Father Bull, a Cowley father, who preached a beautiful sermon on his Lord's prayer. Mr. Lister played the hymns. This afternoon we saw whales sporting & sighted a steamer in the distance which we thought was the Canada, now due. There are 200 passengers in the 1st Class, 240 second & 600 in third class.

Monday July 6th. There was quite a swell on & we all felt rather seedy & sat tight. Jessie didn't appear at table all day & Miss Holdsworth retired from the dinner table, but Mrs. Brent had the honor of being the first to miss a meal. Saturday at dinner, she wasn't visible. We passed the Campania in the morning & sighted a frigate in the afternoon. In the evening we had a game of bridge & at 9.30 saw the last lights we shall see before we reach Ireland.

Tuesday July 7th. It is much calmer & Jessie managed to get on deck but Miss H. still clings to her bunk. Much excitement was caused by seeing icebergs in the distance. Mr. Sawers drew pictures of them for us & both [ ] & Mrs. Brent took photos. We passed the C[ ] en route for Quebec. In the evening there was a [ ] Drive but we didn't feel equal to it. It became very rough in the afternoon & very few appeared at dinner. Miss Bletcher & Mrs. Sawers represented our party.

Wednesday July 8th. Sea very calm & every body feeling much better. Mrs. B., Miss H. & Jessie had breakfast in bed. Shortly after I came on deck a porpoise was pointed out to me. Jessie came up in time to see the sports which were very good. They went on all day & we watched them at [ ]. In the evening there was the concert in aid of the Seamen's Charities, proceed $4.10.8. The violin & calls, solos were fine, the rest rather tame. After the concert we played bridge. Mrs. Sawers & I against Miss B & Jessie. Late Mr. Scott took Mr. Sawers [ ]. The clock was set on 40 minutes at midnight.

Thursday July 9th. A beautiful day, perfectly calm, [all] on deck except Miss H. who had to see the Dr. He gave Mrs. B. some medicine [ ] & they were able to be on deck this afternoon. We watched the sports on the other deck this afternoon. They were not particular as [ ] but beautifully dressed. [Note: A list of the sports events is pasted to the page with a heading "R.M.S. Megantic Sports July 8th 1914"]. We saw a [ ] a porpoise & whales again today. We listened tot he orchestra this morning. it consists of piano cello, two violin & base viol. Among other things they played the Peer Gynt Suite. In the evening we played Bridge, two tables, Mrs. Brent, Miss B., Jessie, Minnie Dyke, Mr. Scott, Mr. Kirby, myself. I won the prize, a box of candy.

Friday July 10th. About 4.30 am we ran into a fog & we wakened by the fog horn blowing. It is a dull day & rather rough. We listened tot he orchestra in the morning. Passed the "Canada" about 11.30. It looked small by comparison. later on we passed a boat in full sail. Talked to the passengers & watched a game of Bull [ ]. In the evening we went to the White Drive. We only played one hand & then moved the lady up & the gentleman down. It was quite exciting, but the players were rather poor.

Saturday July 11th. All morning I chased round [ ] snaps & in the afternoon we packed our belongings. Gulls came out to meet us, hundreds of them. We saw Ireland early in the afternoon. [a few people's house addresses appear here within the text]. In the evening we went to the concert. George has a beautiful voice & sang several solos, among them "The Wolf" & "Death of Nelson." We went before the concert was over & finished packing.

Sunday. We reached L'pool some time during the night - were called about 5.30 but didn't have breakfast until after seven. Packed up our belongings & went on deck to say Good-bye to the passengers. Saw Aunt Kate & Annie on the pier. It was some time before we landed & after our things through the Customs we came right up to the house & had a cup of tea. There were letters awaiting me from Aunt Mary, & Dr. Mann, Eileen, & Mr. Remington Jones, Lesley & Gregory. I wrote to Aunt Mary & Mr. Remington Jones. After dinner we took the train to greet [ ] passing the Merchant Taylor School & St. Luke's Church where grandpa is buried. I recognized Chesterfield House by the picture & we inquired at the Lodge if it were not the place, as the name had been changed "Fearnhead." Old Peter was still there & he showed us over the beautiful gardens & conservatory. The Roses are beautiful. At the foot of the garden there is a tennis court & beyond that a [ ]. We took a picture of the Lodge but I am afraid it will be no good as the light was poor. From there we went to Thornton by the road & through the foot path. Here we saw the stock old sundial & a quaint hotel called the Map Head. We then walked miles through fields to Lefton Church, the chimes we had heard from a distance. On the way we passed the Wishing well & another very old inn called "The Punch Bowl." The Church is very old, has beautiful stained windows & a wonderful screen. From there we walked miles passed McGinty's to [ ] where we took the street car arriving home about nine.

Monday 13th July. Shortly after breakfast Aunt Mary came to take us to Mr. Gregory's. We had a most unsatisfactory [ ] with him & then went to the picture gallery, St. George's Hall, the exchange, & down to C[ ]'s office. Could learn nothing definite about our [ ]. Aunt Mary came back to lunch with us & after that Minnie, Melda, Jessie & I went to [ ] crossing over to Berkenhead by ferry. We were delighted with the quaint old town, walked all round the wall of the city after going into the Cathedral where service was going on. The organ is beautiful & the boys voices so sweet. The boys [ --------------]. We walked through the Park ([ ]) & I was delighted with the holly trees & the pansies. Got pretty trees of the River Dee from here. Also saw the old Priory River & St. John B. Church, the Castle, different old house & the R[ ]. Arrived back after eleven very tired.

Tuesday July 14th. There was some misunderstanding about the time for starting & we missed the party by five minutes & had to go to Warwick alone. We had a half hour at Burmingham & had lunch there, arriving at Warwick about 3.30. Mr. Morse, the Conductor & the other three arrived at seven. We are staying Woolpack Hotel. They have the most beautiful quaint old furniture. We have two beds in our [ ] & the furniture is old mahogany [ ] wardrobe & double washstand. The meals are well served & everything is very swanky. We [ ] about by ourselves in the afternoon & went into the church where they were having services. Bought some post cards.

Wednesday July 15th. We went to Stratford in the morning going to Shottery, the home of Ann Hathaway. Here we saw many relics of Shakespeare, the Hathaway family, including [ ] lights, bottle bag, [ ] [ ]. Shakespeare's home is very interesting. There is a beautiful garden at the back including all the old fashioned flowers mentioned in Shakespeare works. Trinity Church is a very beautiful old Church & we get a very pretty view of the [ ] from here. In the afternoon we went to Kenilworth passing on the way Guy's Cliff, the home of Lord Percy, brother to the Duke of Northumberland, where we visited the mill, the oldest working mill in England & Clarendon, Charlecote, the home of the Lucy's. The present owner is an American named Halifax, who married a Miss Lucy, taking the family name. They are now the Halifaxian Lucys. At Kenilworth we passed the King's Arm, where Scott wrote Kenilworth. In Warwick we saw the Red Horse where Washing' Irving stayed. Kenilworth is a ruin, but must have been a wonderful place. The present owner, the Earl of Clarendon, rents the only part that remains. The gardens are beautiful & we saw people playing tennis here, from the room that belonged to Amy Robsart.

Thursday July 16th. We left Warwick in the morning for Oxford. In the early days the town was surrounded by a moat & was used to draw the people over or rather through this, hence the name Oxford. Here we visited three Colleges, Brasenose, New College & Christ Church. I should have liked to spend a longer time here. The chapel in New College interested us & we were delighted with the windows in Christ Church Cathedral, the painted window by Reynolds being especially fine. We had dinner at the Randolph Hotel & left about four for London. On the way we saw Windsor Castle in the distance. We arrived at the Hotel St. Ermins about half past six & met Mr. Solly, the first familiar face we saw. Later on Mrs. Mann arrived & were were so delighted to see her. She had dinner with us & left about nine. She leaves for Scotland on Saturday, so we shall not see her until we return from abroad.

Friday July 17th. We started on our first drive at 9.30 visiting the Guild hall where we saw some pictures, then to Southwark Cathedral over London Bridge. On the way back we went to Westminster Abbey, in the afternoon to the British Museum after which the rest of our party which now consists of eleven, Mr. & Mrs. & Miss Lesser, Mr. & Miss [ ], M. Isabel Smith & the Port Hope party, proceeded on a drive to Hyde Park, while we hunted for a tailor. The first that Mr. Mann recommended was too expensive & after much trouble we found Mr. [Ambrose's] tailor [ ] & fixed everything satisfactorily, though we had some difficulty in getting back to the Hotel. In the evening, Mr. Solly took us to the St. James Theatre to see "The Ideal Husband" which we thoroughly enjoyed. After the theatre we wandered round until after eleven.

Saturday July 18th. We were up early for the tailor who came at 8.30. In the morning we drove directly to St. Pauls & found service was going on & later there was to be a confirmation. As we drove away I thought I saw the Bishop of London on the steps. From here we went to the Tower where we climbed heaps of stairs & saw among other things the Crown Jewels, [ ] of all kinds, the beef eaters, ravens, signature of Jane Grey. In the afternoon we just missed the King, who left five minutes after we passed Buckingham Palace, where there was a great crowd waiting. We went over the Parliament Buildings which was packed & where we were hustled through in a hurry. Then in to the Victoria & Albert Museums through Kensington Gardens & Hyde Park. In the evening Miss Bletcher, Mrs. Brent, Jessie & I looked in vain for a theatre & finally took a bus & went the round trip, arriving back about eleven.

Sunday July 19th. We expected Eileen K. Jones to call for us but as she was late I took the underground to Mansion House & from there walked only a short distance to St. Paul's. The boys are away & the music wasn't as good as it would have been otherwise. There was no processional hymn. The confession was repeated after the priest, sentence by sentence. Gregorian chants were sung & the Ferial responses all unaccompanied, also the Litany, Te Deum & Benedictus to a setting, only one hymn, the Communion hymn with most beautiful interlude between the verses, Marbecke services for the Communion with organ accompaniment for the Comfortable words & S[--] [ ], no Agnus nor Benedictus. Five fold Amens for prayer of Consecration & after the blessing. At the close of the service the last psalm was sung, Gregorian with beautiful harmonies & then the choir retired in solemn procession, there being eighteen men, a priest with verges walking behind three more with verges, then another priest & finally the preacher C[---] Rawleyson. When we returned from church, we came back by bus. Eileen & Ruth were here. After lunch we went to the Abbey where the service was exquisite, the boys being there. They sang the [ ] [ ] & Anglican Chant. There was neither procession nor recessional hymn. C[---] Wilberforce preached. We then took a bus to Hyde Park & walked through to Kensington Garden where Eileen gave us tea rolls & cake. It was so nice to see them again & talk about old times & hear about the family. We came back by the underground & after dinner I came down here to write up this which had been neglected since [ ].

Monday July 20th. The tailor was late & kept us from going down town with the Guide who had promised to take us to [Corks]. We followed them down & tried to arrange about passage, got some money & then left there to do some shopping. We took a bus to Peter Robinson's, got a rain coat, gloves & a penance hat and [ ] bottle for Daisy. After lunch I wrote numerous post cards & then went off by myself to Westminster Abbey for the service at 3 pm. I enjoyed the singing more than on Sunday. They sang full choral following with Anthem but no sermon. When I got back the others were all packed up waiting for 7.30. They didn't have any dinner but [ ] afternoon tea instead for fear of being left. Jessie & I & the [ ] had our dinner & then had heaps of time to spare. We left St. Ermins at 7.30 sharp but didn't leave London until 8.30 taking the train for Harwick. We got very little sleep on the boat although it was very calm. Were wakened about 4.30 & the first thing I heard in the morning was Miss Holdsworth inquiring for breakfast.

Tuesday July 21. We left Noordwyk at 7.30 after having breakfast, a very [ ] one, on the boat. There was no trouble with the Customs. We came by train about 2 hours [ ], passing Rotterdam on the way to The Hague. There is nothing to do this morning. Immediately after dinner we drove to the "House in the Woods" where the first peace conference was held. It is a Royal villa & the Queen was there in April & is expected again in May. We were shown different rooms in Chinese, Japanese, given by the rulers of their countries. A painting by De Wit to represent sculpture was very [ ] & the delph & dresden china very beautiful. In the room where the conference was held there were wonderful paintings by Ruben & pupils of his. We then drove to the Picture Gallery, where we saw the famous picture of "The Young Bull" by Paul Potter & a Murillo Madonna, Rembrandts "Study in Anatomy." In the old Spanish Prison we were shown all sorts of instruments of torture. We finished the afternoon by a beautiful drive through the woods to Scheveninger, a summer resort with a splendid beach. After tea in which we had some trouble over the money, we, Jessie & I, took a walk to look for post cards & incidentally went in to see a church. Washed my hair & wrote after tea.

Wednesday July 22nd. I left my purse in the office after filling my pen but the manager wouldn't take the trouble to inquire about it. Fortunately, there was only about 60 c. in it. We were all glad to leave the Hague for Amsterdam. The Hotel de Bellevue was very [ ] & the service poor. We didn't do anything before lunch & directly after we drove to the Royal Palace, in 1600 a town hall but remodeled into a palace by Napoleon. It is the most beautiful palace we have seen. The walls are hung in brocaded damask & the picture & furniture is beautiful. The reception room is the largest in Europe, was supported by pillars 100 ft. high, 200' long & 58 wide, in Italian marble with glass chandeliers. We then went to the Diamond cutting works & were shown diamonds in all shapes. Then to the Ryks museum where we saw "The Night Watch," The Councellor, Stuart marriage by Van Dyke, beautiful jewellery & carvings. We were caught in a thunder storm & it was impossible to go to the Zoological Gardens.

Thursday July 23rd. At 9.45 we left the Hotel Des Pays-Bas & took a train to the dock where we took a small steamer to Tolhuis where we went by steam car to Brock, where we stayed half an hour to visit the cheese factory. Everything here was beautifully clean. We were interested in the Dutch beds, which were like cupboards built in the wall, very short. In some of them were smaller ones higher up for the baby, also cords for the old people to pull themselves up. We went slowly through Monnikendam & at Edam were drawn through the canal by a horse to Volendam. Here we took a large sailing vessel for the Isle of Marken. I got several pictures, the houses like all Dutch houses were spotless. Although there are 1500 people on the Island, there are only 38 families, all intermarried, which probably the reason they all look so stupid. We saw a very curious clock on the steeple of a church in Monnikendam on the way back. There were numbers of bells that chimed as the hour struck & [horses] came out at each stroke. At the last stroke there was the sound of a [ ] playing. We got back in time for dinner. And after dinner went to the movies which were no good.

July 24th Friday. At 9.45 we left Amsterdam for Antwerp arriving about noon. After dinner we walked to the Cathedral which is very beautiful. Ruben masterpiece - "The Decent from the Cross," "The Assumption, "Ascent from the Cross," all Rubens; "Marriage at Cana," de Vos; "Head of Christ," da Vinci, a beautiful carved [ ] [ ] picture representing the life of the Madonna by a recent artist & many other paintings we saw in this cathedral. We then drove to the church of St. Paul. Here there is a beautiful [ ] with pictures in stone representing stories from his scriptures. It is surmounted by a crucifix. Built by the monks in 1500. We then drove through the town along the quays. Saw the "Vaterland" & back to the station. Arrived at Brussels about five. We are staying at the Hotel Metropole. At dinner we saw the Lord Mayor of London leave in his robes of state for a reception held in the Hotel Villa. After dinner we walked round looking at the shops.

Saturday 26th July. Here we had a very sportive guide, an Englishman, who got up a desperate flirtation with Miss McQuesten. He started out very well with his explanation but evidently thought we weren't worth the bother. We first drove to the Hotel Villa. Here we saw some fine paintings, the room where the Lord Mayor's banquet was held, also people waiting to be married which takes about a minute & a half. One was a darkey to a white woman. The pictures were all painted by Wiertz, he being supported by the city. He was supposed to be crazy &, without an explanation, most of his pictures would be meaningless. The picture that impressed me most was one of a dog in a kennel. At dinner time we saw the Lord Mayor depart in his robes in a golden carriage drawn by four horses. In the afternoon we went to the Royal Museum. Saw two bronze statues by De [ ], "Negro after his Whipping" & "The Revengers," the same Negro with a knife in his hand looking very vicious. In the afternoon we also saw the Palais of Justice, a most colossal building. The architect is said to have gone crazy before it was completed. Here Mr. Lesser & the guide had an argument regarding America's and English justice, Mr. Lesser coming out a firm second. We went for a walk & booked a [place] in the evening but prices were too high for us. The next day I didn't stir. Jessie, the McQuestens, Pet & Mrs. Brent went out to Waterloo & said it was a beautiful drive through the woods.

Monday July 27th. We started at 9.30 a.m. for Cologne, an all day trip. We had dinner on the train, went for a little walk after tea, then discussed the value of the money at length. I went to bed early. Jessie, Pet & Mrs. Brent had a game of bridge under the reproving eye of Miss Holdsworth.

Tuesday July 28th. The noise of the city is terrific. We got very little rest last night. We had to be ready at 9.30. We went to the Cathedral but a service was going on. We went right in to the Church of St. Ursula with the bones of her [ ] [ ], most gruesome I thought but still a money maker there. We drove about the city. In the afternoon we went to the Exposition walking miles & seeing nothing particularly interesting to us, machinery, air ships, trains, Dutch Houses, Dutch clothes. We heard a band in the distance but didn't come close enough to hear what they were playing.On the way back to the Hotel we went into the Cathedral & it is magnificent. We saw the most wonderful jewels in rings belonging to Bishops & the vestments are gorgeous. A vessel for holding the host was valued at 2000000 +. In the evening we went out & bought Legend of the Rhine.

Wednesday July 29th. At 9.30 we started on our trip up the Rhine. The scenery is beautiful beyond description & the industry of the peasants who grow grapes on every available spot, remarkable. The vineyards owned by the monks are beautifully cultivated & are a picture. Castles are becoming quite common & even here we are reminded of the American Invasion, for several were pointed out to us as belonging to Americans. We arrived in Mayence about 9.30 & walked to the Holland Hotel which is only a few minutes distance from the wharf.

Thursday July 30th. In the morning most of the party went to Wiesbaden but Jessie & I remained at the Hotel expecting to see Miss Symonds' sister but she didn't turn up. After lunch we saw about 2000 soldiers march past. They looked very hot & tired, as though they had marched a long way. In the afternoon we started for Heidelberg & arrived at the Grand Hotel about five. We didn't do anything in the evenign & went to bed early.

Friday August July 31st. In the morning carriages drove us to the University. Here we saw the dungeon where unruly students were confined & rooms decorated with pictures of students painted by their selves, names carved in the walls & names written everywhere. There were several of these dark rooms with barred windows at one time used as places for punishment. We then drove to the wonderful old castle ruins. We climbed innumerable steps to the town & had a grand view of the city. We were shown the immense t[ ] which hold 490[-] gals wine & the little [ ]. The chapel used for the last time in 1600 looks quite modern. The students had a [ ] in the lower rooms of the castle & the green decorations still remained. The grounds are lovely & kept in good order. We then returned to the hotel for lunch & at 3.15 started gaily for Freiburg, expecting to go through the Black Forest by motor next day. At Freiburg there was no one to meet us & the guard on the train, who appeared very excited, said it was our last chance of getting out of Germany as a full mobilization of the troops had been ordered & all trains would be required, so we started off for Baule. Here we were put on the train & told that no person could enter Switzerland. Mr. Gaggiotte interviewed the Capt. of the Regiment stationed there & inquired about accommodation for the night, & finally it was determined to start for Freiburg. We arrived about midnight having had nothing to eat since noon.

Saturday Aug. 1st. The situation is still unchanged. Our luggage was sent on to Neuhausen & no trace of it can be found. Mr. G's money has run out & as there is no Cook's office it was necessary to telegraph to London. Most disquieting reports are being circulated & everyone is pretty much up in the air. In the afternoon we took a train out to a park at the beginning of the Black Forest. It is lovely out there & we began to realize what we had missed. We went for a walk in the evening & there were soldiers everywhere & people reading the [ ]liners all talking in great excitement.

Sunday Aug. 2nd. The McQuestens left us, intending to try to reach Hamburg yesterday afternoon & today Mr. Lesser was determined to go in to Cologne where he could get a U.S. Consul & where we could get away should Holland open her gates to us. After much discussion he & Mr. G. went to the station to make inquires & found that they couldn't guarantee that we would ever reach Cologne & strongly advised that we stay quietly here.

Monday Aug. 3rd. This morning we went to the Bank to cash a cheque & it was refused. Now we do begin to think that things look black. Fortunately our trunks turned up all O.K, the Lessers' & the McQuestens' still missing.

Tuesday. We hear of the arrests of spies & the town is in a perfect ferment. We are warned not to go in the streets & keep as much in our rooms as possible. There are thousands of soldiers coming every day & we are all very much depressed. Mr. Gaggiotte telegraphed for more money & only got 300 franks which will not keep one party very long.

Wednesday 5th Aug. England has declared war against Germany & the Germans are [most] [incensed] against the English. We went over to see the English Church clergyman but he could give us no advice. There were several English people there with very little money. On the way back [McCrae] read a notice that all English were to leave Freiburg. We did not know if that applied to us Canadians. After much discussion the German Dr. Heusell came with us to the chief of police & he declared that we had to go to Baden-Baden. He added that of course all British subjects had to leave. There was a train at 11.30 & the Americans strongly advised us to go on that but I refused to go. We didn't sleep a wink all night.

Thursday August 6th. It was decided that we leave on the 3.30 train. On Wednesday the proprietor of the Hotel had asked us to sign an agreement that if Cooks didn't pay the Hotel [coupons] we would be responsible for our share. There was a lot of trouble over this & Mr. G. decided to leave the Hotel on the afternoon train. We rushed up & down like mad & then were allowed to stay but it was decided that all should leave the next day, Thursday. In the morning Mr. G. started out to find another Hotel & this new man of the Salmen Hotel told him that it wasn't necessary for the Canadians to leave & we decided to stay. Then every body got so wild that we determined to go as they said our very lives were in danger. Mr. G. took us over to the Salmen for our luggage & when we got there the proprietor tried to persuade us to stay. However, we went off to the station. Here the brother came rushing down to tell us that he had interviewed some of the officers & that two agreed that it wasn't necessary for the Canadians to leave. Miss H. was determined to go & we followed her. Mr. G. was much affected when we left him & if I had had room for any feeling for others I should have felt sorry for him. We left Freiburg at 4.00 o'clock. By express it is only an hour & a half but with stops & the train going so slowly we didn't reach Freiburg until eleven. We were all ordered off the train at Appenweire & some of the luggage was searched. We finally hauled it all on again & at length reached Baden-Baden where we had to change cars. Such a time we had with the luggage, but at last we got in a third class car & arrived at Baden-Baden. All our things had to be searched & we had to tell our names & where we were born & finally at twelve o'clock we allowed through the door with our permit. We got a porter & came to the Hotel Holland. Here we presented the letter Mr. Gaggiotte had written for us. The proprietor who was most kind said he would write to Cooks and in the meantime we would have to pay & that he would take Montreal cheques. When at last we got to bed we slept from sheer exhaustion.

Friday August 7th. After a council we finally decided that we would stay here until Monday when we will have to get a cheaper place, if they will only take our cheques. If not the only thing for it is the barracks. This morning we saw the Chaplain. He took us to the Bank to see if we could cash our cheques. They were refused & the only thing for us is to stay here. Today we read in Times July 30th that Canada was mobilizing & that Australia had also joined the mother country. What will be the end of all this I cannot imagine. In the afternoon we went for a long walk in the rain, thought it better to get out of doors. At night notices were posted as saying that the Americans were sending ships for her people. We felt more cheerful for no particular reason & slept better than usual. We received a note from the Englishmen Miss Holdsworth interviewed in Freiburg saying there would a choir practice. We are going to see if we can get in touch with any English people. There is only one American in this hotel. The Englishman left for a [ ]. We have heard no more of Lady Acton, who was so kind at the Station the night we arrived, acting as our interpreter.

Saturday August 8th. This morning we took a walk & met an English woman who is in the same box as ourselves. She can speak German & was on her way to the police court to see if she could leave anything here. She promised to call in the afternoon, but as she didn't turn up I cannot help wondering if anything happened to her. She was very aggressive & may have made trouble for herself. We went to the choir practice at six & met some very nice English people. They are all like ourselves, short of ready cash, but hope soon to be sent on to England. In the evening we were surprised by a visit from a Mr. Frankel of Toronto. He had seen our names in the paper & came to see if there was anything he could do for us. We were much cheered by his visit. He is German, but a naturalized citizen of Canada. According to him we may be here for months but he is sure the Germans will treat us kindly & we needn't fear that anything from them.

Sunday, Aug. 9th. This morning Jessie & I went to the early service & some of the English people walked to the Hotel with us. They were very sympathetic & have hopes of soon being sent to England. We sat in the garden all morning being afraid that the service would be too much for us & that we should all fall to weeping bitterly. In the afternoon Mr. Frankel brought his wife to see us. She appears much more anxious than her husband. We went for a short walk in the evening but it wasn't pleasant, as we were all afraid to speak to each other.

Monday August 10th. I waited all morning for Mr. Frankel to see if he could make any arrangements for us. Mr. Hull called to tell me to go to the Bank & show my cheques & see if anything could be done through the Berlin Bank. Later Mr. Frankel called to tell me he had arranged about our leaving this hotel. We have heard that the American Consul has taken the affairs of the English in hand & we were given forms to fill out. We took another solemn walk at night.

Tuesday Aug. 11th. We filled out our forms & took them down, then walked through the Park. Early in the afternoon we started off to see the place Mr. Frankel had arranged for us & discovered that it was the same old story about the cheques. The boy Frankel said that he would tell his father the result of our visit. When we returned we received a message to go to the American Consul but when we arrived we were told to return the next day. We stayed in all evening expecting Mr. Frankel but he didn't come.

Wednesday Aug. 12th. About tea we started off for the bank again only to find that as usual it was no go. We then went in to the Stephenis Hotel, where we expected to find the American Consul, but we were told to go over to the English Church. After waiting for a long time, we at last got passports good for six months & were each charged 8.50 for them. However, we had to have them. Mr. Brent & Pet heard of a cheap [ ] & went over & arranged to go there the next day. About nine, Mr. & Mrs. Frankel called but there was no news.

Thursday Aug. 13th. This morning two English girls named Cleves called & took us to the place where we got exemption from the surtax which is imposed upon all visitors to Baden-Baden. After a talk with the manager, we arranged to stay here indefinitely. Mr. Brent then went over & cancelled the room. Two Italian waiters went off to Italy today. Hope this doesn't mean that Italy has joined the fight. We poked round our rooms all afternoon. I washed Jessie's hair. In the evening we went for a short walk & had a drink at the hot springs.

Friday Aug. 14th. Went for a long walk in the morning [ ] nearly all the way. In the afternoon went with Jessie also for a walk & listened to the orchestra in the Park. Pet interviewed the manager as to rates 10 F. each a day & decided not to stay here.

Saturday Aug. 15th. Our time with Cooks is up this morning & after much thought we have decided to stay here, as the manager will give us credit, should our funds run out. Poked round the Hotel all day & went for a walk at night.

Saturday Aug. 16th. Pet & I went to early service - after breakfast with Jessie went for a long walk, while Mrs. B. & Miss H. went to church. Got books from the Church library in the afternoon & read that the Military were arranging for the removal of the British subjects to England. That is cheering, but we are in such a state of mind that we cannot believe anything we hear. Went to the Lutheran church at five, couldn't understand a word of the serman which lasted about half an hour. Then went to the English Church.

Monday 17th Aug. Miss Cleves, the English girl, called to take Miss B. & Mrs. B. to the Police Station to have their passport given them. Evidently there was some misunderstanding in the man's mind about Canada & we are to call again on Wednesday. Jessie & I went for a long walk in the rain in the afternoon. Had a game of bridge in the evening.

Tuesday 18th Aug. Morning went for a walk, read until four, then went to listen to the orchestra, played bridge in the evening. Still no news.

Wednesday 19th Aug. Went for walk in the morning. Called at the Police Court for information about our German passports & were told to call again on Saturday. Walked again in the afternoon & played a rubber in the evening. Very interesting.

Thursday 20th Aug. Went to see if my trunk had arrived. Sent word to Gaggiotte to send it but it wasn't at the Station. A deputation of men called at the Police Station to see if anything had been arranged for the British. They were told not to worry & when things were ready they would be told. Listened to the orchestra this afternoon. Met the Cleves girls there & they are still cheerful. Went for a short walk in the evening & had usual rubber Bridge.

Friday 20 Aug. Heard at the ticket office that no boats were sailing from England & that it would be some time before we could go there. Wrote to Lesley in Switzerland as Miss B. heard from Dreden that they were going home by way of Geneva. Mr. Frankel translated it for me.

Saturday 22 Aug. Called at the Police Station again this morning. Still no news - told to call again Monday. There was a grand celbration last night for a great victory at Metz. This hotel was decorated with flags & lanterns & there were people singing & the band playing until late at night. Only interrupted by a thunderstorm. A Frenchman said Down with the Germans, & was roughly handled by the people.

Sunday Aug. 23rd. The fair waiter went off to the war this morning & we were all reduced to tears. Jessie, Miss B. & I went to early service & then for a long walk after breakfast. We passed the hospital where there are about seventy wounded, some very badly.

Monday Aug. 24th. Went to get Mr. Frankel to go with us to the Police Station but as he wasn't at home we didn't go. Discovered that they are Jews. Went for a long walk in the afternoon. The Frankels came over in the evening. No news.

Tuesday Aug. 25th. Interviewed the ticket agent who said he had three berths for the 3rd Oct. & that he could get us German passes. Went for a long walk with Miss Morell. Played Bridge in the evening.

Wednesday Aug. 26th. Called to see Dr. McIntosh, but he had no news except that the passports had been taken from the Englishmen between 17 & 45. Then went again to the ticket agent. The berths were taken & he wasn't at all sure that he could get us through. Then went again to the Police Station & was told to write to the Minister at Carlsruhe. Went to change our books & on the way home was told by Mr. Webster that all the English were going & that we should send for our passes at once or would be left behind. Rushed over to the Stadt Baker where all the English are, only to be told that there was nothing in it. In the meantime Mr. Hacket told Jessie that there were crowds of English at the Police Court with applications. Mr. Frankel wrote ours out & we told Miss Brodrick the English governess.

Thursday Aug. 27th. Took our applications tot he Police Court. Met an English lady who interpreted for us. Miss Brodrick came in the afternoon & we talked until tea time.

Friday Aug. 28th. Went for a long walk in the morning. Read & played [shalaire] all afternoon. There was great excitement in the afternoon & we were told that 120,000 English soldiers were taken prisoners. This evening there was another great celebration. The Russians told us that no English, French, Italian or Russian were to be allowed out of the country.

Saturday Aug. 29th. Stayed in the Hotel all morning. Was sent for to the Police Station where Jessie had to fill in her papers as there was no record of hers there. If we are not going to be allowed out of the country why are they going to so much bother about our applications. Mary Harling told us that the American Consul had sent word that the last train for Holland would be on Tuesday. The same applies to Switzerland so it looks as though we were here for keeps. England sank four of the German ships.

Sunday Aug. 30th. Went to early service with Pet. Read all morning. Went for a long walk with Miss H., Jessie & Miss Brodrick this afternoon.

Monday Aug. 31st. Heard today that the prospect of going is brighter. Sincerely hope so. Miss Brodrick interviewed Lady Acton, who seemed sure we would go.

Tuesday Sept. 1st. Today there is no chance of our getting out of here as England is not allowing the Germans to leave. We are all much depressed.

Wednesday Sept. 2nd. Heard today that this hotel closes in Oct. We shall have to look for another place. A Belgian lady [ ] [ ] arrived today. She has a little daughter in England & her husband is an officer in the army.

Thursday Sept. 3rd. Went for long walks in the morning & afternoon. Talked to the wayfarers in the hotel in the evening.

Friday Sept. 4th. [no entry for this date]

Note: A few pages of mailing addresses and notes about the R.M.S. Megantic follow.



Sept. 6th '14

My dearest Daisy
I have an opportunity to send this by an American gentleman who is leaving here tomorrow.

We Port Hopers were obliged to leave Freiburg with the English & now there are about three hundred in this town.

We hope to be sent on to England any day but owing to the action taken by Asquith in regard to keeping the Germans in England, we may have to remain here for some time.

We are all wonderfully well & everybody has been very kind to us.

Get Fred to attend to the insurance & taxes or rather you can see Mr. Long & Mr. Bletcher about the vacancy permit.

I am longing for news from home & if you will write a letter in German & send it on to

Madame Pierre Pigueron
"Sr. Mesnil"
Suisse, Europe

& ask her to send it on to me open I may possibly get it.

I do hope we will be in England long before a letter can reach me.

Mr. Megg is waiting for this so I must close.

Jessie is very brave & in fact I think we are wonderful under the circumstances. Pet is worried about her business & Mrs. Brent longs for her boys. Miss Holdsworth is perhaps the best of all.

My dearest love to Henry & Fred & much for your dear self. God bless you all. You loving sister

M[ ] Tuer

All send their love to their people.


Archival Finding Aids

Creating the Library of the Future - Details about our exciting transformation