Letters of Permission
Trent University students may study at another accredited university on a Letter of Permission. A Letter of Permission allows students in a degree program at Trent to take courses at another university for credit towards their Trent degree. Approval is required for each course that you plan to take.
Students from another university can also take credits at Trent on an LOP.
• Trent students visiting a Canadian University
• Canadian University students visiting Trent
• International Letters of Permission
• Information and course offerings for Summer 2017
Trent Students visiting a Canadian University
If you wish to obtain an LOP you can do so by logging into the myTrent portal. The application is found on the Academics tab under Forms.
• Completed a minimum of 3.0 Trent credits
• Have a cumulative average of at least 60%
• Be in “Good Standing”
• Course must not put you in “overload” for the term
• A maximum of 5.0 credits can be completed on an LOP.
• At least 10.0 (Honours degree) and 7.5 (General degree) credits must be Trent credits to obtain a degree from Trent University.
• 5.0 of the last 7.0 credits of a degree must be completed at Trent University.
• Nursing students must first receive approval from the School of Nursing before obtaining a Letter of Permission.
Check the Letter of Permission Guide for full details about applying for a Letter of Permission.
Before applying, browse Trent's approved course equivalencies from other Canadian institutions by using the "Browse LOP Equivalencies" function in myTrent (under the Academics heading).
If you would like to obtain an LOP you can do so by completing the Letter of Permission application form in myTrent (under the Academics heading). If the course you intend to take is not in the database, you will be required to provide a syllabus with your application.
Canadian University Students Visiting Trent
Trent University welcomes visiting students wishing to study on a Letter of Permission. To do so, please obtain a Letter of Permission from your home institution and then apply to Trent as a Letter of Permission student here. Note: you must select the "Create Account" option
To view the courses offered at Trent University, please visit our Academic Timetable.
Once you have completed your application and been admitted, follow the registration instructions that have been sent to you, they can also be found here.
International Letters of Permission
For International Letters of Permission during the Fall/Winter session (September to April), please visit the Trent University Study Abroad application information page.
For International Letters of Permission during the Summer session (May to August), please use the Letter of Permission application form in myTrent (under the Academics heading).