International Political Economy
705-748 1011 ext. 6006
H. M. Uluorta, BA, BSW (British Columbia), MA (International Institute of Social Studies), PhD (York)
The joint-major Honours program in International Political Economy (IPE) is offered by the Department of Political Studies and is intended for students with an interest in the interconnected nature of the study of politics and economics at the international and global levels, which they wish to explore while pursuing a joint-major Honours option in another discipline or program. The Great Recession of 2008, worsening economic inequality, the predominance of finance capital, new regional and international trade regimes, and more broadly the intensification of globalization have raised the prominence of the study of IPE in recent years among scholars and students from a wide variety of academic backgrounds. IPE merges Political Studies with Economics and International Development Studies, as well as Anthropology, Business Administration, Canadian Studies, Environmental & Resource Science/Studies, Gender & Women’s Studies, Geography, History, Indigenous Studies, and Sociology.
BACHELOR OF ARTS PROGRAM IN INTERNATIONAL POLITICAL ECONOMY
• In addition to the program requirements listed below, students must satisfy the University degree requirements (see p.11).
• The same course may not simultaneously satisfy the requirements of both programs in a joint-major degree.
• Courses taken abroad may be counted toward the joint-major by special permission of the program coordinator.
The joint-major Honours program.
20.0 credits including the following 7.0 credits:
– 1.0 ECON credit consisting of ECON 1010H and 1020H
– 1.0 POST credit consisting of POST 1001H and 1002H (or 1000Y)
– 1.0 credit from POST 2230Y or IDST 2000Y
– 1.0 credit from Category A
– 1.0 credit from Category B
– 1.0 credit from Category C
– 1.0 additional credit from one of Category A, B, or C
– At least 1.0 of the total 7.0 credits must be at the 3000 level
– At least 1.0 of the total 7.0 credits must be at the 4000 level
ECON 3110H, 3120H, 3620H*
ECON-IDST 3310H, 3330H
HIST-IDST 2401H, 2402H, 2471H, 3401H, 3402H
POST 3170H, 3200H, 3240H, 3260H*, 3280H, 3420H, 3430H, 4200H, 4280Y/4281H*
POST-IDST 3281H, 3282H, 3290H, 4270H
ANTH-IDST 3010Y, 3040Y*, 4090H*
ERST-IDST-POST-SAFS 3601Y*, 3602H, 4610H
IDST 2000Y, 3100Y, 4000Y, 4220Y
IDST-ANTH-GEOG-SAFS-SOCI 2500H, 2210Y*
IDST-ANTH-SAFS 2600H, 2210Y*
WMST-IDST 2250Y*, 2251H
*no longer offered