Make A Payment


Tax Certificates


Tuition and Education Deduction Tax Certificate - T2202A


Calculations are for courses taken and fees charged in a calendar year, not an academic year as required by CRA.

Meaning that amounts covering the full academic session that commences in September and ends in April will not be used. Only the September to December period and other terms during the calendar year will be covered by the certificate.

The T2202A tuition and education deduction tax certificate is available online via the student portal. Log in to your MyTrent portal and go to Finances Tab to view or download the form.


** T2202A Income Tax Certificates for the 2017 Taxation Year are currently being updated and will be available for downloading from the MyTrent portal in the near future**


The T2202A certificate is not mailed to students.


Scholarships, Bursary Tax Slip - T4A


Students who have received scholarship, awards, bursary, prize or fellowship amounts will receive a T4A income slip. These can be accessed on your MyTrent portal.




Residence fees cannot be claimed as rent for income tax purposes. Under the Income Tax Act, universities are exempt from paying municipal property taxes. 

The Ontario Income Tax Act stipulates that all students living in designated university (tax-exempted) student residences are limited to an Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit claim based on an occupancy cost of $25 for the time they resided in the student residence. Therefore, the amount that can be claimed for income tax purposes is $25 and not the full amount of residence fees paid. On Line 6114 (Student Residences) of your income tax return, tick the box to claim $25 as your occupancy cost for the part of the year you lived in residence. 

We do not issue a tax receipt for residence fees or meal plan payments.

for more information, visit the Government of Ontario Ministry of Financwebsite.


Note to International Students


Trent University is required to provide T2202A information to all students to enable them to complete their Canadian tax returns. Contact a tax professional to determine whether you need to file a Canadian tax return and/or a tax return in your country of origin.


Note to Students Who Are Residents of Quebec


The RL-8 slip is a tax form of the Ministere du Quebec and is intended only for Quebec residents. Please visit or e-mail Student Accounts to request your RL-8 form.


Note to US Students


Although Trent University does not issue 1098T tax receipts, US students can use the T2202A to file their US tax return. Contact a tax professional who work with the U.S. tax system for assistance.


Social Insurance Number


Trent University requires this information for the completion of your tax forms. Revenue Canada Subsection 237(1) of the

Act requires individuals who reside or are employed in Canada to give their SIN, upon request, to their information slip preparers. Those people who do not do so can be charged a penalty of $100. for each failture, under subsection 162(6) of the Act. Please consult your tax guide for full details and this website for more details.


Privacy/Access to Information


University privacy guidelines will not allow the release of student information to any one other than the student concerned without the online consent from the student. Vist for more information.


Trouble with Portal Access - No Longer a Student or Forgot your Password


For assistance with forgotten user IDs and passwords, please visit  Select either "Forgot your Password?" or "Forgot your Username?" If you need additional assistance contact the IT Help Desk at

Alumni Student Access:

myTrent Access to email,  access academic records, request transcripts and more. Only one Trent account login is required to access both myCommunity and MyTrent. For new accounts or to re-activate your previous Trent acccount, go the the registration page. For password resets, visit the password retrieval page. For further login assistance email or call 1-866-449-0072


Additional Tax Links