BIOGRAPHY / HISTORY
The land which is now Peterborough County was originally part of Newcastle District before 1841, and the Colbourne District until 1850, the year when districts were replaced by counties in Upper Canada. At this time the United Counties of Peterborough and Victoria was created. In 1861, Victoria County was given independence from Peterborough. Peterbourgh County is made up of the following townships: Galway, Cavendish, Anstruther, Chandos, Harvey, Burleigh, Methuen, Ennismore, Smith, Douro, Dummer, Belmont, North Monaghan, Otonabee and Asphodel. (taken from "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peterborough County 1825-1875." Peterborough: The Peterborough Historical Atlas Foundation Inc., 1975.)
This fonds was in the custody of B.K. Van Buren before it was donated to the Trent University Archives.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The fonds consists of assorted documents related to Peterborough County, and the surrounding area. It includes: By-laws of North and South Monaghan townships, broadsides (sale of lands for taxes), numerous newspaper advertisements (commercial and political) and assorted postcards depicting area scenery. Also included are two photographs, one of Hon. Zaccheus Burnham, and the other, of Rev. Mark Burnham.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Most of the prints are postcards, one is an engraving, and three are advertisements.
Two of the photographs are postcard bookmarks.
The fonds was donated B.K. Van Buren of Port Hope, Ontario.
Finding aids: Y
For related records see: 73-1003, 74-1000 and 77-032.
1. Program Patriotic Concert sponsored by A. Leach, Druggist, Millbrook, November, 1914
2. Programme - church service for Lieut. Ros. Richardson
3. Advertisement - W.P. Plant (Norwood) - Out Door Machinery
4. Advertisement - Ladies Perfume Calendar - E.W. Hoyt & Co. 1894
5. Advertisement - Burdock Blood Bitters
6. Advertisement - Reid, Gilimour & Co
7. Advertisement - Dry Goods "Grand Opening" John Moloney, Peterborough 1871
8. Advertisement (2) - The Gallagher Remedy Co. - suggested remedies for various illnesses
9. Advertisement (2) - Grafton & Co'y - Clothing Manufacturers
10. Card - New Hotel Bancroft
11. Warranty - Singer Sewing Machine
12. The Paton's Milk Pass
13. Correspondence - regarding land transactions
14. Correspondence - To the Municipal Council of North Monaghan - concern for a citizen
15. Correspondence - To the Municipal Council of North Monaghan - from the Lakefield News, 1879
16. Correspondence - To the Municipal Council of North Monaghan (3)
17. Correspondence and Miscellaneous
18. 1867 election message
19. Card - candidate as councillor for ward #3 Peterborough,
20. Ballot paper account
21. Bylaws (10) re North Monaghan
22. Taxes for 1900 - town of Peterborough (2)
23. Lands for taxes
24. Lands for sale (3)
25. Mail contract
26. Receipts (6) includes Fairweather & Co. 1875, Peter Hamilton Agricultural Works 1883, H. Holtorf Furniture and Undertaking 1890, Robert Romaine Book Printer 1865,
28. A promise to the court of revision - appeal decisions
29. A promise to the Office to the Oath Master
30. Department of Public Instruction for Upper Canada Education Office
31. Petition - for an new tavern license
32. Cadet Templars of Temperance
33. An Acrostic poem for Gabriel Switzer by M.J. Sanderson
34. Song - "Willie We Have Missed You"
35. Specifications for the building of a bridge, North Monaghan, 1870
36. Map - hand drawn of Rice Lake
37. Post Cards
1) Victoria Park, Peterborough, Ont
2) Keene Bridge
3) Works of the Canadian General Electric Co. Limited, Peterborough, Ont.
4) Hydraulic Lift Lick, Peterboro, Ont.
5) Keene, Ont., From Esson's Hill
6) Salvation Army Band Peterboro Canada
7) Muskoka Lake, Rossclair, Ont
8) Floating Bridge at Chemong Park, Bridgenorth, Ont
9) Looking up Queen St. Lakefield, Ont.
10) Canada Post Card (1837)
11) Saw Mill, Victoria Road
12) Steamer Annette in Locks at Hastings, Ont
13) Main Street, Marmora
14) War Memorial, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada (Frank Allward)
15) Victoria Park, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
16) i)Mount Julian, Stoney Lake, Kawartha Lakes, Ont.
17) ii)Mount Julian, Stoney Lake, Kawartha Lakes, Ont.
18) St. John's Church of England, Peterborough, Canada
19) St. John's Church, Peterborough, Ont., Canada
1) Clipping - Memorial tablet in honour of Robert Penniel Boucher M.D.
1) Peterboro [Rifles]
2) Peterboro [Rifles] - enlargement
3) Hon. Zaccheus Burnham
and 4) Rev. Mark Burnham
(Note: The above two Burnham photographs are attached to each other by tape)
1) Engraving - "Peterborough Normal School"