Academic skills instructors are located in the college offices - who's where?
Please note the location of your appointment when you book.
Book an appointment
Appointments are also available at the Durham campus;
please book online.
How can an academic skills instructor help me?
Our instructors will meet with you to discuss any aspect of your academic work. This includes:
- Essay writing - bring in a draft of a work in progress and we will provide detailed commentary on your essay, teaching you how to become an independent editor of your own work and indicating your strengths and weaknesses
- Essay topics - bring in essay topics to discuss narrowing the topic, finding a thesis, and establishing a direction for research or discussion
- Lab writing – bring a work in progress and we will discuss strategies for organization, independent editing and research and analysis
- Time management and study skills
- Critical reading and thinking
- Seminar presentations
- Exam and test preparation
- Math skills for Calculus, Algebra, Probability and Statistics
- Math support for students in other disciplines such as Physics, Education, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Geography
- Organization, reading, and writing skills for graduate students
Read our appointment FAQs for more information.
Book appointments by appointment type in the online booking system.
Academic Skills In-Person
Meet with an academic skills instructor in a 45-minute appointment to discuss study skills, time managment, academic writing, and more. Appointments are available Monday through Friday in the college offices.An instructor is available for booked appointments on Monday, Thursday, and Friday at Traill College.
If you are working on a group project, please indicate this in your appointment description. All group members are encouraged to join the appointment.
Academic Skills Math
Mathematics skills instruction is available on Thursday afternoons by appointment during the academic year. The math instructor supports students with understanding of course material and offers remedial support for math courses and math content in disciplines such as Physics, Chemistry, Psychology, Education, Environmental Science, and Geography.
Learn more about online math instruction available from academic skills. Send your questions to the math instructor: firstname.lastname@example.org
Not able to get an appointment? Have a quick question on writing or studying? 30-minute drop-in slots are available Monday to Thursday during the academic year in Peterborough.
Sign up for drop-in at the college office for the assigned day only. Sign up begins at 12:55pm or when the college office opens following lunch.
Mondays 1-4pm - Gzowski College
Tuesdays 1-4pm - Otonabee College
Wednesdays 1-4pm - Champlain College
Thursdays 1-4pm - Lady Eaton College
You can submit questions about academic or writing skills or submit a
draft of your writing at any stage of the process. At the time of the appointment, an instructor will review what you have submitted, offer comments, and then reply to you via email.Online appointments are available Monday through Friday.
Yes, you can book an online appointment before you've finished your assignment!
Upload a work-in-progress or assignment instructions when you book your appointment in the online booking system. You can submit
via email a more recent draft before 9am on the day of the appointment
to your instructor. Note that it is helpful if you offer assignment instructions and/or ask for particular feedback on writing.
Math help is also available through online instruction. Learn more. Send your question to the ASC Math Instructor at email@example.com
Appointment Booking & Cancellation
At the Appointment
Academic Skills collects personal information in order to provide quality service and monitor/ evaluate our services. If you have questions, please contact Academic Skills.