Various agencies and trail groups have identified the need for research on the following topics:
1. The identification, designation, and management of historical trails.
2. The economic impact of trail users.
3. The impact of trails on the value of houses and farmland adjacent to trails.
4. The benefits of trails as ecological corridors.
5. The impact of trails and their users on wildlife in areas adjacent to the trails.
6. The provision of trails in new sub-divisions in cities.
7. Environmental impacts of All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) use.
The Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion, through its call for project proposals, has indicated the need for research on certain topics in particular. They can be found on page 9 of the Trails For Life Guidelines.
Last updated by Wesley Found, September 28, 2011